My first juice groove didn't work out
(04-27-2018, 07:43 AM)Alan S Wrote: Routers go left!

That's the direction I was moving the router.
Wink
(04-27-2018, 05:48 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: Duane,  I have made a similar error more times than I would like to admit.  As the others have pointed out, when you use a fence or an edge guide, if the feed the work from one direction, the rotation of the bit forces the work into the fence or edge guide, virtually guaranteeing a straight cut, if you feed it the other way, the bit forces the work away from the fence, causing the problem you show, and potentially kicking the work.  You don't need a bigger bit to fix the one with a problem, you just need to set the fence a little bit farther away from the edge and take another pass on that side, and the other 3, and no one will ever know you made a mistake.  Before you do that, though , make sure you are feeding the work from the right direction - I try to think it through each time, but it might just be easier to refer to a diagram.    Here is one site that discusses it  -  http://www.newwoodworker.com/rtrfeeddir.html  you need to pay particular attention to the section on Router Table operation  .  Here  is another http://woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip012100ws.html

This is another site that explains how to do it with a fence, and remember, that enlarging a dado can call for a different feed direction than making the dado in the first pass.http://keithlarrett.com/2009/11/04/router-feed-direction-and-bit-rotation/
Thank you for the information...I will read the links you posted.
Smile
(04-27-2018, 08:50 AM)Cooler Wrote: Those are useful "juice reservoirs".
Laugh

Being new to woodworking and not really knowing most of the people here is this comment sarcasm?   if not, please explain.  Like most of the hobbies I try to do I try to learn as I go and learn from my mistakes.  I would get bored pretty quickly if I knew everything.
Yes
The only time I have ever made a juice groove on a cutting board,
I built a jig that guided the entire base of the router. Had to move
it four times, to get all four sides of the board done, but it came
out perfect.

It was a very large board that my brother in law used
for a long time and then decided he needed it to have
a juice groove. No way did I want to screw it up and I
knew there was only one shot at it. Took longer to figure
out the design and build the jig, then make the cuts.

Well worth it though, he has used it ever since.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
An mdf template of the inside profile of the groove is taped to the cutting board. 
As stated above, direction of travel is important.
The other trick is to make the cut in several light cuts, each deeper than the last.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Duane, as far as I am concerned, you can't have juice grooves too deep.  On the last board I made, the juice grooves go around 3 sides, and I the 4th side I routed out a fairly large rectangle to hold the juice and run off from meats .  If you run small grooves, you run the risk that the juice flows over, or you spill it -  and if it is turkey juice - fat,  that can be a real problem.
(04-27-2018, 02:51 PM)Duane N Wrote: Being new to woodworking and not really knowing most of the people here is this comment sarcasm?   if not, please explain.  Like most of the hobbies I try to do I try to learn as I go and learn from my mistakes.  I would get bored pretty quickly if I knew everything.
Yes

Salvaging a mishap is divine.

Matt
(04-27-2018, 02:51 PM)Duane N Wrote: Being new to woodworking and not really knowing most of the people here is this comment sarcasm?   if not, please explain.  Like most of the hobbies I try to do I try to learn as I go and learn from my mistakes.  I would get bored pretty quickly if I knew everything.
Yes

Yes it is.
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. Romans 12:1 NKJV
Yes

It has been said many times here; every woodworker makes mistakes. A good woodworker knows how to hide those mistakes.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Hide or recover from.

Winkgrin

BTW, when you fix a mistake, don’t point it out to everyone.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.