Rough Cut lawsuit
Here's the counterclaim by PBS:

.pdf   answer and counterclaim rough cut.pdf (Size: 489.92 KB / Downloads: 303)
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I don't know why they call them Legal Briefs as they are anything but Brief! But from reading it it sounds Like Tommy singed over all rights to the name Rough Cut to WGBH when he was signed up to do the show.

This whole thing is really sad!
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
(08-08-2018, 08:59 AM)Admiral Wrote: Here's the counterclaim by PBS:

The vigorous defense looks solid to this layman. The case does need a court ruling to settle, and it seems both sides will incur legal fees of a substantial amount.
Simon
Ah, it all depends on what the intital agreement said as to the registration of the copyrights said.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(08-08-2018, 10:47 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: I don't know why they call them Legal Briefs as they are anything but Brief!  But from reading it it sounds Like Tommy singed over all rights to the name Rough Cut to WGBH when he was signed up to do the show.

This whole thing is really sad!

That's what I was thinking. WGBH is a big enough organization not to cover their basis when dealing new shows. The lawyers took care of WGBH and Tommy is more likely out of luck.

On another note, I always thought Rough Cut was a stupid name for a woodworking TV show. It sounds like someone just slaps things together without any precision. Of course that's the name Tommy created and grew so it's still his baby.
(08-08-2018, 07:47 PM)mvflaim Wrote: On another note, I always thought  Rough Cut was a stupid name for a woodworking TV show. It sounds like someone just slaps things together without any precision. Of course that's the name Tommy created and grew so it's still his baby.

That's kinda my thought as well.. I never really liked watching Tommy Mac, but the name was his and was "OK" for a YouTube channel.. 

But FWW magazine, not only keeping that silly name, but replacing the host with another guy named "Tommy Mac" - seems lazy and dishonest of them.. Just make a new name, a better name, to reflect what is, IMHO, a much better show.. The new guy is much more enjoyable to watch.
(08-09-2018, 07:10 AM)mound Wrote: That's kinda my thought as well.. I never really liked watching Tommy Mac, but the name was his and was "OK" for a YouTube channel.. 

But FWW magazine, not only keeping that silly name, but replacing the host with another guy named "Tommy Mac" - seems lazy and dishonest of them.. Just make a new name, a better name, to reflect what is, IMHO, a much better show.. The new guy is much more enjoyable to watch.

Don't think it is FWW's call regarding the show's first part of the name, which is a WBGH production. Rough Cut was considered a success by the production, and no reason to get a totally new and different name from their perspective.

Now I wonder if Tommy Mac's suit has helped promote the new show under another Tommy. I do think the new Tommy has better delivery skills and much less distraction. The content seems more interesting, too. After all, FWW has resources and ideas that no one single woodworker, however skilled, could match.

Simon
(04-28-2018, 02:36 PM)Admiral Wrote: Trademark and copyright are funny things; a subset of intellectual property.  Clearly Tommy had the copyright to "Rough Cut" and if he only gave PBS the rights to the longer phrase, he's got a point, especially given his prior youtube publications.  Thing is, if you don't protect your copyright and trademark, you can lose it, so there's more going on here below the surface.  I deal a lot with copyright and trademark at work, not an expert, but I do know its a tricky area.  From what I can see, Tommy has a point here.  I'll predict PBS will settle.

Just skimmed through both PDF's and I agree with you, it does seem like what was being communicated to Tommy was a little bit misleading.

It will be interesting to see how this goes.

In the end, I think "Rough Cut" is a terrible name for a show that attempts to demonstrate the finer parts of this craft.

Maybe Tommy should start a series on YouTube named "Finely Cut."
I thought he didn't actually obtain a trademark?
In the end, what is the value of the lawsuit? The original Tommy Mac made his name known, and can monetize it. What is the value of the phrase "Rough Cut"? Ain't gonna make me buy a line of chisels.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com