Rough Cut lawsuit
Trademark and copyright are funny things; a subset of intellectual property. Clearly Tommy had the copyright to "Rough Cut" and if he only gave PBS the rights to the longer phrase, he's got a point, especially given his prior youtube publications. Thing is, if you don't protect your copyright and trademark, you can lose it, so there's more going on here below the surface. I deal a lot with copyright and trademark at work, not an expert, but I do know its a tricky area. From what I can see, Tommy has a point here. I'll predict PBS will settle.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(04-28-2018, 09:41 AM)Scott W Wrote: Norm and Roy....the best 1-2 punch.

^^^^^^^

What Scott said.  I wish Norm would come back and I had all of Roys DVDs.

Even when I was not a woodworker and stationed in Montana I watched Norm every Saturday and loved and wished I could make my wife nice furniture and could not afford the tools.  Now I have the tools but working on the knowledge and Norm is no longer doing the shows.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(04-28-2018, 12:37 PM)sniper Wrote: I'm remembering that also.

+1 on missing Norm.  Tommy Mac was to hyper for my tastes.  I wondered if he forgot to take his ADHD meds.

I am just thinking that Tommy Mac tried to put a lot of stuff in a short time and that was why he acted like that.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I'd go with "Fine Cutting by Fine Woodworking", and leave it at that. Give the new show to being in some of the mag's contributors to assist the host. I never thought much of Tommy Mac-talked way too fast, subtlety hawked too many products, though some of his guests were great.

I go back to the very first "This Old House", with Norm & Bob Vila-great shows, and had many sparks of ideas from them, then Norm's show and later, from Roy.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(04-28-2018, 09:39 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I am just thinking that Tommy Mac tried to put a lot of stuff in a short time and that was why he acted like that.
This is why I have used two, 1/2 hour episodes for my show. An hour gives time for more detailed instruction. Of course, even so, I have had to leave out stuff I wanted to cover.

I’ve met Tommy several times and even attended a dinner with a group of about 12 including he and his wife. He is a nice guy, but sort of hyper active even off camera. It is just who he is.

Personally, I would be very surprised if WGBH took Tommy on without properly locking up all the trademarks. They and their lawyers have a LOT more experience at these things than Tommy does and did when they signed him up.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(04-28-2018, 11:02 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: In other words, admitting guilt?

Even if the name change were done without prejudice, in the court of public opinions, Tommy would be the winner. I say let the court proceeding run its course.

Simon

Not at all, just acknowledging that the name isn’t worth a fight.
(04-28-2018, 01:06 PM)sweensdv2 Wrote: As I move along the road of life things like this lawsuit and a whole lot of other life happenings find themselves very quickly filed into the, I could care less basket.

+1
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(04-29-2018, 09:14 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: Not at all, just acknowledging that the name isn’t worth a fight.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/...story.html
(04-29-2018, 09:37 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/...story.html

What is your point?
Point is a name is worth fighting for.

Simon