Queen bed
I'm making the arts and crafts queen bed from finewoodworking from a year or so ago. The plans call for slats. I'm wondering what the consensus is on the need for a center support if I am using slats and not a box springs. Can I just tighten up the slat spacing and be okay or do I need the center support?
Take a look at Charles Neil's Yout-tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdNcmLRMKgQ, Dan
(04-28-2018, 11:20 PM)rudedan60 Wrote: Take a look at Charles Neil's Yout-tube  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdNcmLRMKgQ, Dan

Some good tips there.  I was going to suggest plywood over the slats if a foundation isn't going to be used.  I wish I would have thought of the T-slats when I made my king size bed two years ago.
Bob
I have slats on my queen bed frame, and I installed a couple center posts underneath the middle slat. I do have a box spring, so the posts might be overkill, they were very, very simple to make and install. I cut a couple 2X4s to length and screwed them to the slat.

You could probably install that kind of center support in about the same time it's going to take you to read all the responses you'll get to this post...
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Yes, I am building a modified version of Kevin's bed... some minor arsthetic alterations.

I don't have the plan and am just building off te magazine... is there a plan? The magazine article doesn't list a slat size other than 7/8" unless I am missing it.
I ended up going with a modified t slat design... no groove (no table saw or router) ... just screws and glue. But I have 9 of them per Kevin's plan... with the t shape they are rock solid. I think an elephant could sleep on this bed... maybe a bit overdesigned
for the next bed I make I am going to go to Ikea and snag the center rail and slats they sell.

Just picked up a cheap Ikea bed for my son who's in a college apartment, The set up they have to replace the box springs is pretty slick.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere