How to clean up hardened epoxy?
When I finished up a deck last fall I failed to clean up some epoxy that leaked out of a few joints. I'd like to be able to remove the epoxy from the rail posts. A youtube video shows heating the epoxy with a heat gun and scraping it off is the way to go. Won't the heat gun melt the vinyl liner that covers the wood post? I'm wondering if there are other ways to remove the epoxy from the vinyl posts. Thanks.
(04-29-2018, 10:00 AM)JSpill Wrote: When I finished up a deck last fall I failed to clean up some epoxy that leaked out of a few joints. I'd like to be able to remove the epoxy from the rail posts. A youtube video shows heating the epoxy with a heat gun and scraping it off is the way to go. Won't the heat gun melt the vinyl liner that covers the wood post? I'm wondering if there are other ways to remove the epoxy from the vinyl posts. Thanks.

A heat gun will melt the vinyl.   Try a sharp chisel and see if you can get between the epoxy and the vinyl and pop it off.    Be careful not to gouge the vinyl.   Roly
I think a chisel or a dremel tool.

But if it ‘s not a huge blob I would try to find some paint for plastic and touch up the offending epoxy. You might even be able to scrape some of the plastic from some scrap railing and disolve it in acetone, and the take the dissolved slurry and apply it over the epoxy.

I think I would just find paint. Testor’s model paint is used widely on plastic. They list 45 colors. https://www.testors.com/product-catalog/...el-paints/

Less than $3.00 per bottle.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Since the vinyl is the same color all the way through, I would try scraping with a sharp chisel or a card scraper and then sand with a high grit paper to smooth the surface.
(04-30-2018, 04:24 AM)johndi Wrote: Since the vinyl is the same color all the way through, I would try scraping with a sharp chisel or a card scraper and then sand with a high grit paper to smooth the surface.

They apply vinyl to metal in two basic paths.  

The first is with plasticizers added to the resin.   In that type the sheathing wraps around the metal but is not bonded to the metal.  Plastic clad chain link fence is that type.  If you cut through the surface you can easily strip off the plastic sheathing.

The second type is without the plasticizers added.  In that type the sheathing bonds to the metal at a molecular level and will not peel off.  (I am repeating the bit about the molecular level from the engineer that sells us the stuff.)

If the fence vinyl has no plasticisers added, then scraping might be a workable option.  But if it has the plasticisers then, the risk of ripping the cladding has to be taken into consideration.   But this reminds me about the dipping vinyl that they sell for covering the handles of pliers, etc.  That might work too.

I just checked and that is available in white:  https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thanks guys for the ideas. I was able to scrape most of it off with a sharp chisel plane. I'll sand the vinyl lightly to smooth out a few minor gouges. I might apply some paint depending how it looks after sanding. It actually turned out better than I expected. Once again, a sharp tool eases the work.
(04-30-2018, 10:38 AM)JSpill Wrote: Thanks guys for the ideas. I was able to scrape most of it off with a sharp chisel plane. I'll sand the vinyl lightly to smooth out a few minor gouges. I might apply some paint depending how it looks after sanding. It actually turned out better than I expected. Once again, a sharp tool eases the work.

I'll bet you are the only one to see the minor gouges.   Trying to fix them may make them standout.   Roly