Moving a building
Thank you all for the excellent thoughts, suggestions and descriptions.  I really like the Amish method and I’ve watched similar videos previously.  Unfortunately, I don’t have that many friends, and I’m reluctant to convert from Pastafarianism.  
Winkgrin

I love the mental image of the building moving along with the jeep invisible inside, but I think this one is too big and heavy for that method. 

I like the idea of using a tractor to pull it so I will check into that.  Using a trailer would be difficult because of where I’m moving it.  I might be able to push it with my truck and pull it with the come along if that doesn’t work. 

I appreciate the warning about being cautious with the trees.  The historic commission doesn’t care too much about these particular trees, but I like them.  Most if not all of them are wild cherry trees.  I was planning on using this tree strap so I hope it will protect them. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z8R...O7B5XV9KKN

Thanks also for the suggestions on the rope and pulleys.  I was thinking about using this winch rope but I will check on the suggestions. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YBR1J3/ref...B072Q7F7FS
I may use these straps https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L5R...X0WT38UK5G
I’m leaning toward the strap, but I’ll have to daisy chain them. 

While looking at come alongs, I found this lever chain hoist.  I’ve used regular chain hoists in the past for lifting , but I haven’t used one like this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTG...8BYJ&psc=1
It sounds like I can use it horizontally to pull, and I like it better than the come alongs, even though some of them are rated for a higher weight.  Does anyone have any experience with a lever chain hoist, especially for pulling? 

Thanks again!  This won’t happen before July and I’ll take pictures.  Hopefully, none of them will be gory…
Eek
Michael
(05-01-2018, 08:32 AM)Baumholder Wrote: While looking at come alongs, I found this lever chain hoist.  I’ve used regular chain hoists in the past for lifting , but I haven’t used one like this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTG...8BYJ&psc=1
It sounds like I can use it horizontally to pull, and I like it better than the come alongs, even though some of them are rated for a higher weight.  Does anyone have any experience with a lever chain hoist, especially for pulling? 

Those things are as ubiquitous as beaters and drift pins on steel erection jobs, and the ironworkers almost (almost) can't kill them.  3-ton are very common, too.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Calculate how many times you must pull on the chain to move 1 or 2 inches and you may change your mind about a hoist.
I don't know the cost but would an electric winch be better than pumping a come along. Also I would favor jacking it up and set down on a trailer then jacking it off the trailer and pull out from under. Less chance of racking the frame
(04-30-2018, 05:02 AM)Baumholder Wrote: Mike, your ideas on the rollers and bracing will work. The hardest part is the replacing of the sills. Install two ropes or cables, one on each side of the garage. If you have two trees ,then pull from each. If not pull from the center so the cable or rope look like a V. Two points are best because you reduce the load on the the trees and  can straighten the building as you pull. If you have a hoist ,use it to make the pull. I know that the wooden rollers can be rented , maybe even a hoist. I have used come- a- longs and a lever hoist as well. Either will do the job but slowly. You may be able to pull the shed with a pickup truck. Once the shed starts to move on the rollers it will move easily on flat ground.

mike
(05-01-2018, 08:45 PM)gear jammer Wrote: I don't know the cost but would an electric winch be better than pumping a come along. Also I would favor jacking it up and set down on a trailer then jacking it off the trailer and pull out from under. Less chance of racking the frame

Electric winch!  I like that idea!  If I get the type used for off-road vehicles, I assume I just need to hook it up to a car battery?
(04-30-2018, 05:02 AM)Baumholder Wrote: I need some help from the brain trust here.  Please give me some feedback and ideas on my plan below.  I plan on moving an old garage about 50 feet to a different place on our property.  It is a wood frame building, 16’x19’ with a deteriorating rock foundation.   It was built in the 19 teens or 20s, and overall, not in bad shape.  I can’t get rid of it since we’re in a historic district, but I can move it where it will be useful and out of the way.   I have no idea how heavy it might be, but it is solidly built, and it has roof sheathing and asphalt shingles under the metal roofing. 

The framing is exposed on the inside of the building.  I plan on jacking up the building to reinforce/replace the sill boards and add some temporary 2x10 “skids.” I will add some reinforcement and bracing inside to help prevent racking and hopefully keep it from falling apart.  I will probably take off the hinged wooden doors to reduce weight, unless I need to keep them on to help with reinforcement and bracing.  I can get 6” round fence posts at the local farm supply.  I think these will work as rollers, probably cut in half.  I will lay down some 2x material as a “track” for the rollers.  It will be moved across a yard and garden area.

I am thinking about using towing/lifting straps to loop low around the building and then connect to a come-along attached to a tree.  I have trees in the right place to use as an anchor.  Another thought is to use a heavy pulley or block and tackle off the tree and pull it most of the way with my truck, and finish with the come-along. 

Thoughts about the plan?  I've moved smaller, lighter sheds using similar methods, but nothing this big and heavy.  What am I forgetting?

What can I use to pull the building?  Do I need steel cable or will a winch rope work?  For either option, what size cable am I likely to need and what do you recommend? 

Any suggestions on a decent come-along?  I will have other uses for the come-along, but I’m not sure about a block-and-tackle.  I also haven’t found a block and tackle I can afford that might work.

Thanks for any help,
Michael
The Amish moved a large shed for me and they have a great plan. Here is the set of house dollies they use and mule. Google premier bulidings

Attached Files Image(s)

(05-03-2018, 07:08 AM)Baumholder Wrote: Electric winch!  I like that idea!  If I get the type used for off-road vehicles, I assume I just need to hook it up to a car battery?

Going to need bigger than that....HF has some truck mount winches that are pretty cheap.

Ed