Got a call from a fella
Got a call from a fella that needed to thin his heard of hand tools.  He'd been traveling the country in his RV for 25 years collecting.  Has 3 buildings full of stuff he's found.  He called me to come take a look at his hand plane collection..

I got there and he had them all grouped together.  In all, over 150 planes, and various chisels, saws, what have you.  I don't have a capacity to take it all, and really, his asking price for the whole collection was too sentimental for me to afford.  

But we were able to make a deal on this little collection.  I was able to get some cash in his hand, and he was able to clear some space, so he was very happy.  

There are about a dozen planes, ranging from 3 - 8; all Stanley's.  There are a few bedrocks, including the 604 1/2.  There are a couple 51, 151 shaves, a couple #80s, a #71, a Witherby drawknife.. Over with the chisels there is a set of Buck Brothers crank neck chisels and gouges, plus a handful of other socket chisels of various makers.  

He was a nice gentleman that loves his tools, I was glad to meet him.  

[Image: 01212_4IoSuGgd0NU_1200x900.jpg]

[Image: 01111_fvqkEBoD0O7_1200x900.jpg]

[Image: 00A0A_eBT0HcBNIiI_1200x900.jpg]
Wow!~ That should keep you busy for a while!
Nice grab. Congrats!!!
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Nice group. It was good that you could liberate them. Looks like cleanup time now.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Great Haul!!!   

Let the work begin cleaning and tuning all those planes 
Wink
Wink
Wink
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
Can't wait to see some of those cleaned up! I always like to see old tools taken out of storage and put back into use in a shop where they belong.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Well this is timely. My dad never saw a flea market he could resist. He "gifted" me 3 milk crates planes. I kept a few even an extra few to practice sharpenng on. Still left me with a few Bailey Stanley #5 the rest look just like the top of my workbench. Our annual yard sale is this weekend. I figures on selling the Baileys for $20, the rest for 10 and the box of 220's for 5.00 each. Does that sound excessive. I mean the grizzly catalogue shows new but not made in USA going for around 40.00 i recall Im simply looking to make space. The Ones that dont sell im going to try and donate to one of the local charities that do trips to Appalachia.
Around here, those are fair prices. Its certainly in the area for 5's and 220's. Its really hard to say without seeing pictures, I'd also suggest getting some info on the non-Baileys, just in case you've got something really uncommon.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$