Have you used a Polissior for applying a wax finish to wood?
I recently learned about a tool used to apply a wax finish to wood projects. It is called a Polissior and is made up of broom bristles tightly bundled together. I watched a you tube video that showed a finisher Don Williams using the polissior he manufactures. The polissior burnished the board and applied a coat of wax that looked great on the board. I'm wondering if woodworkers here have used this device. If so, I would like to know your opinion of using a polissior.
Yes, I have!

I did a thread over in the Hand Tools section,  "Starting my own (wood) Burnishing experiments".

Quick summary:

- I like the polissoir.   The one I bought from Lie Nielsen was better than my homemade one.

- The wax finish is indeed nicer than any paste-wax finish in terms of thickness and grain filling.

- Cold burnishing wax is great, many times.  Melting hot beeswax right onto the wood is messy but even more interesting.

- Putting shellac over the top of wax does work as Don Williams said, as well!

Chris
Chris
I purchased a polissior from Lie Nielsen two weeks ago. I have not used it yet. I am about to finish a cherry grandfather clock. I was thinking about using the polissior to apply a wax finish to the clock. I always read that a wax finish is not very durable, so I have been hesitant about using just wax as the final finish. If shellac can be applied after the wax I feel more confident about having a strong durable finish.  I saw a video of Don Williams using his polissior to apply a wax finish. The wax was his final finish. It looked beautiful.I don't recall him saying shellac or varnish can be added after the wax.
I posted my previous reply before reading your post in Handtools about burnishing experiments with a polissior. Having now read that post, I learned a lot about what to expect when I use a polissior. Your post was very informative. Would it be possible for you to explain what Don Williams says about using shellac or varnish on top of the wax and how he goes about it? Thanks.
Don Williams has his own site, www.donsbarn.com, and it's possible to search through his blog posts.  Quite a few times he talks about teaching students to apply shellac over a wax-filled piece.   Shellac does stick impressively, and I've tried that shellac-on-wax on a few small things including a plane's tote, and it held up well.

Unfortunately his site usually has low-res photos, so there's only so much I've gathered, not having the time to seek him out for a class.

Like anything, testing out the idea on a sample piece should be helpful for your finishing decision.  I'd love to see what you do!

Chris
Chris
that's funny, I have one my mom bought in Mexico.  I wonder if it has other uses, like cleaning pots or something.