Planer won’t feed
I had that issue with my Delta.  I cleaned the rollers with denatured alcohol - slow process - but worked well.  I believe I waxed the table also.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
On the Powermatics (and maybe others), after the machines warm up, the gear box handle will shift out of where it needs to be and stops feeding stock.  Push in or out on the handle (while the machine is running) next time this happens and see if the stock starts to feed.
My older Ridged Planer never really pulled the wood through and after countless attempts of cleaning and asking for help, gave up and used a stick to push through.

Bought the 13" Dewalt planer, does the same since NEW out of the box. BRAND NEW and will not pull wood through.  Still need a push stick . . .  Brand New and still wont pull??????

Yes, my wood is normal, same as yours, not wet, the rollers all cleaned and adjusted etc.  

I now use a 20" Grizzly planer, pulls just fine and does a great job. A GREAT JOB!!!!!
(05-01-2018, 07:44 PM)joemac Wrote: I have an older 15” Powermatic planer. Lately, it will not feed, no matter how light I make the cut.  The board moves into the planer, then stops. I then have to push it through. If I then feed it again, same result. It has a Shelix  head, installed by the previous owner.

Any help or ideas are appreciated.

Joe

I had that happen many times and I found that this to help me figure it out.

1. When it feeds the wood may somehow raise up the front and jam.  (Have not figured out why yet but maybe due to a short piece)

2. I have adjusted it to tight and it will not feed.  (Most of the time the piece is high on one end and low on the other and I did not realize it and should have put the low side in first)

3. I put in a chain sawn piece and it will slip and not feed.  (I found that there is not enough surface for it to grab on so I feed/push another piece behind it to help it go thru.  I do this until the top part has more surface to grab onto and then switch it to the bottom so it will feed itself)

So far that is the ways I have problems with.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I agree on using Johnson paste wax. I follow that with cleaning the rubber rollers with alcohol. Try that before replacing them.
Did I really read thru all of this and not see anyone suggest making sure the segments are sharp?

Confused
One day, Chuck Norris ordered two pizzas to go.  They went.
Joe--

The rollers on the PM are rubber? Which model is this?

Delta--

If the rollers are actually rubber, they won't be segmented.
Semper fi,
Brad

(07-02-2018, 02:24 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Joe--

The rollers on the PM are rubber?  Which model is this?

Delta--

If the rollers are actually rubber, they won't be segmented.
I was referring to the segments on the Shelix head...the knives, if you will...are they sharp, is my question...
One day, Chuck Norris ordered two pizzas to go.  They went.
Ah. Gotcha.

I was thinking of the roller because the serrations in it/them can cause poor feeding if they've rounded over with wear.
Semper fi,
Brad

(05-01-2018, 07:44 PM)joemac Wrote: I have an older 15” Powermatic planer. Lately, it will not feed, no matter how light I make the cut.  The board moves into the planer, then stops. I then have to push it through. If I then feed it again, same result. It has a Shelix  head, installed by the previous owner.

Any help or ideas are appreciated.

If you haven't already done so, check the height of the feed rollers, chip breaker, and pressure bar (if it has one) in relation to the cutterhead. The manual should tell how to align everything. If the feed rollers are rubber, check to make sure they are clean and not covered with crud. Check to ensure that the bed rollers are adjusted to the correct height. If there are no bed rollers or if they are adjusted below the bed (some people do this to minimize snipe.) then wax the table with Johnson's paste wax. I'm told it's best to use that brand because some other brands have an anti-slip compound added to them, which is great for floor but not-so-great for woodworking tools. As another poster mentioned, make sure the transmission is in gear and that the feed rollers are turning.
Measure with a micrometer. Mark with Chalk. Cut with a chainsaw.