Butcher block counter finish
I've been asked to install and finish butcher block counter top and laminated boards for vanity tops.
My question is how do I finish these tops?  The butcher blocks will go in the kitchen and be near the sink, The laminated tops will be in the bathroom with lavatories mounted on top. any ideas to help me get the best finish. Thanks for any suggestions
I installed butcher block for all our countertops in our kitchen. I debated whether to use Waterlox or something else. I ended up using General Finishes Endurovar Poly mainly because I didn't want the long lingering smell of the Waterlox. I sprayed on several coats to both sides of the countertops. We had an undermount farm sink and after 2+ years of use, I saw no evidence of water damage except near the single faucet lever where water from wet hands would drip on the counter. I think it was more hard water spots than actual damage to the finish.

I never cut directly on the tops without a cutting board between and I tried to be vigilant about wiping up messes. The Endurovar did an excellent job.

Now fast forward to this past January when we put our house on the market. I actually tinted the Endurovar with stain and through a series of unfortunate events I botched one area of the countertop during some stupidity on my part after installation. Well, I ended up sanding off all the finish down to bare wood and then refinishing it with fresh coats of Endurovar. Maybe spot finishing over clear Endurovar would not have been a problem.

Anyway, Endurovar is an excellent finish and I've read Waterlox is also an excellent finish. I've used it on other projects. Fixing a Waterlox finish is A LOT easier.
If this is a friends and family job then EnduroVar, Arm-R-Seal, and Waterlox would all likely be good choices.  If it's a paying job and you want to put the most durable finish on it you can I would use a 2K Poly.  I also would put in writing that if the customer cuts directly on the wood that any warranty is void.  

John
I put down 4 coats of Minwax oil based finish on mine.  The finish is holding up very well.

The harder the wood is, the better the finish will hold up.  I've managed to dent the finish.  You only see it at an angle.  At some point in the future I will scuff this up and apply another coat.  

You need to allow 200 hours for a "full cure" (and that is really a "nearly full cure").  I have a 20 year old piece with the same finish and it is substantially harder.

For the counter I waited 7 days and then used coasters for any metal pans, etc. for the first 6 months.  And supply the user with a couple of large cutting boards.  The finished counter is not for cutting and not all people will understand that.  

A couple of over-sized cutting boards will help get the point across.

Sam's Club sells 15" x 20" (2 piece set for a bout $20.00).   Make a wood base for these and they look very nice and can be put in the dishwasher (as long as it is removed from the wood base).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.