Workbench Surfaces - Finish or Not?
Hi All - just wondering what finishes, if any, you use on work bench surfaces - I've usually done nothing but to protect the surfaces (cardboard, Kraft paper, wax paper, etc.), but just purchased the large Lee Valley portable table shown below which should be ideal for my purposes in gluing up smaller projects w/ right angles - on my butcher block & end grain cutting boards in the kitchen, I use various non-drying oils, one mixed w/ waxes.

SO, should I just use my typical precautions as described above or should I oil/waxed this surface, mainly to avoid glue accidents?  Thanks for any comments and advice.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
(05-01-2018, 10:13 PM)giradman Wrote: Hi All - just wondering what finishes, if any, you use on work bench surfaces - I've usually done nothing but to protect the surfaces (cardboard, Kraft paper, wax paper, etc.), but just purchased the large Lee Valley portable table shown below which should be ideal for my purposes in gluing up smaller projects w/ right angles - on my butcher block & end grain cutting boards in the kitchen, I use various non-drying oils, one mixed w/ waxes.

SO, should I just use my typical precautions as described above or should I oil/waxed this surface, mainly to avoid glue accidents?  Thanks for any comments and advice.  Dave
Smile

A single coat of a wipe-on (i.e. thinned) poly will do it.  Sand and refresh occasionally with a coat of floor wax.  

That said, I've not refreshed the one on my garage bench in the 10 years since it was built.  Seems fine.  Haven't refreshed the one my my "good" basement bench either.  Also seems fine.  

The grip of the bench is somewhat affected but I use a floor wax (Johnsons) and that doesn't seem to get as slick.  

Glue does pop off easier than when I manage to get it on a jig or fixture that is bare wood.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(05-02-2018, 09:14 AM)Rob Young Wrote: A single coat of a wipe-on (i.e. thinned) poly will do it.  Sand and refresh occasionally with a coat of floor wax.  

That said, I've not refreshed the one on my garage bench in the 10 years since it was built.  Seems fine.  Haven't refreshed the one my my "good" basement bench either.  Also seems fine.  

The grip of the bench is somewhat affected but I use a floor wax (Johnsons) and that doesn't seem to get as slick.  

Glue does pop off easier than when I manage to get it on a jig or fixture that is bare wood.

Thanks Rob - I've not finished my other table and seems fine after 10 years or so - will think about my options - may just do nothing and protect the surface as described before, just make using the holes inconvenient.  BTW - quoted below is the response I received from Lee Valley for those interested.  Dave
Smile

Quote:Thank you for your e-mail. We’ve largely left it up to Customers to finish these Worksurfaces if they like, as we have found they’re fine to use as-is. That said, some added protection can help with maintenance, and you should be fine to use anything that you would normally coat a bench in: Some people prefer a shellac, others prefer a penetrating oil or polyurethane, and some use products like Watco’s natural finish, after which they apply a coat of paste wax. There’s not really a right or wrong answer when it comes to this, as you have lots of available options, but we would recommend staying away from built-up surface finishes as they’ll chip over time.

Whatever you chose, we do recommend finishing both sides, which will help to ensure the plywood doesn’t warp on you, and recommend removing the plywood to refinish it. 

Should you have any additional questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to let us know.

Kind Regards,

Evan
Internet Customer Service
Lee Valley Tools Ltd.
Piedmont North Carolina
I'm not a fan of film finishes on bench tops. I use a mixture of beeswax, MS, and BLO. Dissolve the beeswax int the mS (this might take a little time) and then add the BLO. You apply it like a danish oil, wipe on, let it sit, then wipe off. Glue pops right off, never flakes, and is easy as all get out to renew.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
If you use furniture or floor wax, make sure you wipe the surface really well.  Residue on your projects could cause adhesion issues.  

And never use silicone spray near woodworking.  If any silicone gets on a surface that is to be finished, your adhesion issues will never end.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(05-02-2018, 11:14 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I'm not a fan of film finishes on bench tops. I use a mixture of beeswax, MS, and BLO. Dissolve the beeswax int the mS (this might take a little time) and then add the BLO. You apply it like a danish oil, wipe on, let it sit, then wipe off. Glue pops right off, never flakes, and is easy as all get out to renew.

(05-02-2018, 11:35 AM)Cooler Wrote: If you use furniture or floor wax, make sure you wipe the surface really well.  Residue on your projects could cause adhesion issues.  

And never use silicone spray near woodworking.  If any silicone gets on a surface that is to be finished, your adhesion issues will never end.

Thanks for the suggestions above - I was not planning to do a film finish but some type of oil w/ wax would be my choice - the new work table is shown below w/ some of the hold downs & dogs that I've collected over the years - even had an oak fence from my old drill press table, so drilled some holes and added the t-track knobs - may make another to fit the longer dimension?

I was thinking about my kitchen cutting boards - have used the product below w/ mineral oil & waxes - of course, mineral oil is non-drying but soaks into the wood and leaves no residue - will likely go w/ a drying oil like BLO + wax - thanks again.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
Nice homemade handtool bench? Sure. Put a nice oil finish on it and keep it neat.
A regular beater bench or top that is used daily and will get some dings? Put a coat of BLO on it and call it good.
Winkgrin
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-04-2018, 07:32 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Nice homemade handtool bench? Sure. Put a nice oil finish on it and keep it neat.
A regular beater bench or top that is used daily and will get some dings? Put a coat of BLO on it and call it good.
Winkgrin

Hi Stwood - not homemade, but bought from Lee Valley (their largest portable workbench - see my first post) - just did not feel I could get those holes perfectly lined up and like the t-tracks on the edges which fits a LOT of stuff I had lying around in a box unused!

Put a coat of BLO on today - will allow a day or two for drying and then apply some Minwax - looking forward to doing some of my smaller projects on this workbench.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina