Problem finishing rough sawn headboard
My grandaughter needed a headboard for her apartment and picked out a rough sawn one. Fortunately I had a supply of 100 yr old pine siding, the backside of which was perfect. The headboard is made. Here is is before any finishing:

and here is a close up:

After experiments with my collection of stains I chose Minwax Golden Oak. Turned out great. Tried sealing with clear satin poly but didn't like it because it was too shiney. Then tried Polycrylic. It's milky in color but is suppose to dry clear to a matt finish--which it does---on a flat surface! But on a rough surface the second coat puddles in the deap cracks and--it's milky! Fortunately most of this experimenting was done on a sample board so the piece still looks good.

My finishing question is whether there is any product I could use to seal the piece without making it shiney or cloudy?
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
If the poly is cloudy in the crevices, maybe you've put to thick of a coat on.
Are you brushing or spraying?
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-02-2018, 11:03 AM)Papa Jim Wrote: My grandaughter needed a headboard for her apartment and picked out a rough sawn one. Fortunately I had a supply of 100 yr old pine siding, the backside of which was perfect. The headboard is made. Here is is before any finishing:

and here is a close up:

After experiments with my collection of stains I chose Minwax Golden Oak. Turned out great. Tried sealing with clear satin poly but didn't like it because it was too shiney. Then tried Polycrylic. It's milky in color but is suppose to dry clear to a matt finish--which it does---on a flat surface! But on a rough surface the second coat puddles in the deap cracks and--it's milky! Fortunately most of this experimenting was done on a sample board so the piece still looks good.

My finishing question is whether there is any product I could use to seal the piece without making it shiney or cloudy?

I think I would try Sealcoat.  It is not very durable but headboards don't usually get much wear (unless you have a cat that is fond of that rough texture).  Sealcoat is pretty much clear.  On my projects it is not too shiny.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(05-02-2018, 01:34 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: If the poly is cloudy in the crevices, maybe you've put to thick of a coat on.
Are you brushing or spraying?

Brushing and I'm sure you're right. I've used it before on flat pieces and it performed O.K.
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
Try looking for Aqua Zar in their antique flat waterborne urethane. I haven’t used it yet but it looks like the reviews look good. I think Rockler has it now for 20% off.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.