Makita Battery Compatability
Oh snap, my 10 year old (maybe older) Makita LXT 3.0 Amp batteries are starting to fail. Not really disappointed since I never dreamed they would last this long, but, I have MANY Makita tools that use the batteries and find that the new longer life batteries don't fit the old tools.

I did see by googling that there is a tab you can cut off on the tool to use the new batteries but there is supposed to be some communication between the tool and batteries for thermal management on the new tools and you can damage the battery and tool if you do this.

I'm just wondering what others have done who are in a similar situation. I can think of:

1) replace the tools I use often and use my remaining 3Ahr on the others
2) see what I can get if I sell off all the non Star compliant tools and replace them
3) buy more 3Ahr batteries (but they are expensive!)
4) have my batteries that are failing rebuilt (if this is possible)

Thanks,

Mike
My first Makita tools were the LXF (I think) which use the 1.5AH 18V batteries.  I really appreciate the weight difference.  I have added 4 of the LXTs to the arsenal so battery life and replacement are very important!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So far I have not had any issues with my three 3.AH batteries but one of the 1.5AH had to be replaced.

I learned a huge lesson.  Do NOT buy the no-name look-a-like replacements.  Like you said batteries are expensive, so I rationalized buying a pair of the cheap knock-offs on Amazon.  Bad idea!  Neither fit the tools well, one only lasted for two charges.  Once again I have proved "you get what you pay for".

I realize some day Makita will drop the LXT line but I am not ready to start replacing good tools at this point.  Really don't see myself buying an expensive battery and altering it or the tool.  I have had very good luck buying LXT batteries on Craig's List and EBay. 

Good luck, your decision is not an easy one.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I cut the tabs. Works absolutely perfect. Built the shed inside with them. Btw the 4 bank charge is awesome! Usially get batteries when they have the buy two tools get two batteries sales. One year i bought $30 led flashlights. Last time coffee makers $40 ea and got two 4.0ah batteries each time with each pair of tools lol.

Anyone want to buy a makita coffee maker.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.