gutter guards
I live in Nj and I have seen a few houses that have gutterguards where the water is suppose to follow he guard. Well in the winter they freeze up and have huge icicles hanging from them and usually pull the gutters down. Seen this more than once. not pretty.
John T.
(05-04-2018, 08:14 AM)EricU Wrote: I see that the borgs are selling foam gutter guards now.  Do they work?  When we had our roof done, the guards were improperly installed and don't really work.  Especially with evergreen needles.  We don't really have that many trees near the house, but the gutters get filled pretty badly without a guard.

I installed these 5 years ago and they still look like new. Most debris just blows off. They install (really simple) with zip screws on the front lip of the gutter (and you can add screws into the fascia boards if wanted). 
There is an Amazon version, too. I got mine off Ebay (Shur Flo). Also, they come in 5" and 6" versions

https://www.ebay.com/itm/By-the-Piece-5-...26NE7weTgw

https://www.guttersupply.com/p-Gutter-Guard.gstml

Fred
The biggest issue I see with foam gutter guards is the debris that sets on top of them and snow, turned to ice completely blocking the gutter rendering the gutters useless. I understand the concept but I don't understand how the gutters work with leaves and pine needles piling up on top of the foam creating a water barrier. Also don't understand what prevents water from backing up into the soffit when the clog up. Seems counter productive to mee. I wish I could post pictures of inspections I've done. One house with foam gutter guards had thousands of maple trees about 10" tall growing out of the foam. Perfect watering system and media to trap soil for the rooftop farmer.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I didn't take this picture but it is exactly what I have seen with foam gutter guards.

[Image: pnLauIb.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(05-05-2018, 06:17 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I didn't take this picture but it is exactly what I have seen with foam gutter guards.

[Image: pnLauIb.jpg]

Not surprised. Foam is an excellent medium for starting plants. Holds seeds, water and dirt dirt and dirt and its in the sun. Put plastic over it and it's a perfect terrarium. I can't think of a worse material to put in a gutter...
(05-04-2018, 05:29 PM)tomsteve Wrote: yes- a hose and a brush twice a year.

if I do that, I end up with some really nice compost from the gutters.  Maybe I just do it at the wrong time of year
Have two huge pin oaks, had a maple until last year, neighbor has a tree that drops small leaves and squirrels bring stuff from across the street.

I installed the following guards(inexpensive) that have a netting over the holes, slide under the shingles and clip on the gutter edge. Once a year, I spray off the debris and washout the collected dirt. Even took out the wire screens installed in the top of the down spouts.

Gutter guards from HD