What type of wood? Mahogany?
Hey all,

We're going through my grandpa's estate, and I've been put in charge of anything woodworking related. He's one that never threw away anything.

We came across a stash of wood that appears to be some sort of mahogany and I'd love insight into what type exactly it might be. It was used as indoor wood paneling for a house he built in the 70's, which was later torn down (about 20 years ago). This was a house for himself that was custom built. He was an architect and builder with strong influences from Frank Lloyd Wright.

A few pictures are attached. The wood is freshly planed to remove dye and weathering, and it is wet with mineral spirits in some pictures (half and half). The wood is fairly light weight, in my opinion, seemingly lighter than soft maple or walnut.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Tyler

Attached Files Image(s)

Sapele maybe.

http://www.wood-database.com/sapele/

[Image: sapele.jpg]
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
 I don't think it is Mahogany.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Could also be Luan
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Hmmm, Bill, what do you think it is then?

Anything I can do/check to narrow it down between possible guesses?

Tyler
That's almost certainly lauan. Mahogany is light, but it doesn't really look like that. Sapele is pretty heavy.

It looks and sounds like lauan.
(05-05-2018, 07:27 PM)FS7 Wrote: That's almost certainly lauan. Mahogany is light, but it doesn't really look like that. Sapele is pretty heavy.

It looks and sounds like lauan.

It is most definitely luan (Philippine Mahogany) .... Looks just like the stuff I salvaged from an East Asian pallet ...

Red
Life is what happens when you're not paying attention.
I agree.... Phillapino mahogany. It was commonly used in the 70’s.

Ok, seems like luan is becoming the consensus.

Is it worth saving? I only know of luan being used in plywood. There is a stack (not sure how many exactly, but enough to cover half of a 20x20 room, roughly) of these that are 3'-4' long, 8" wide (with nail holes down the length about 5" apart), and 3/4" thick. That's based on the board I currently have.

I can't say I'm blown away by the look of the wood, but it's not bad either.

Oh, and minor edit. Evidently the house was built in 1960. Earlier than I thought.

Thanks,
Tyler
Sure. Save it for *something*

Boxes...
Shop paneling....cabinets
Etc.....
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020