What type of wood? Mahogany?
(05-06-2018, 08:18 AM)OneStaple Wrote: Ok, seems like luan is becoming the consensus.

Is it worth saving?  I only know of luan being used in plywood.  There is a stack (not sure how many exactly, but enough to cover half of a 20x20 room, roughly) of these that are 3'-4' long, 8" wide (with nail holes down the length about 5" apart), and 3/4" thick.  That's based on the board I currently have.

I can't say I'm blown away by the look of the wood, but it's not bad either.

Oh, and minor edit.  Evidently the house was built in 1960.  Earlier than I thought.

Thanks,
Tyler

Not worth saving.  It is best to throw it out with the trash.

NOTE:  Please advise of your trash pickup date and your address.  
Winkgrin
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
(05-06-2018, 08:18 AM)OneStaple Wrote: Ok, seems like luan is becoming the consensus.

Is it worth saving?  I only know of luan being used in plywood.  There is a stack (not sure how many exactly, but enough to cover half of a 20x20 room, roughly) of these that are 3'-4' long, 8" wide (with nail holes down the length about 5" apart), and 3/4" thick.  That's based on the board I currently have.

I can't say I'm blown away by the look of the wood, but it's not bad either.

Oh, and minor edit.  Evidently the house was built in 1960.  Earlier than I thought.

Thanks,
Tyler

Tyler, I used Luan to make window sash for my shop. Used for wood boats and outdoor furniture. Resembles mahogany ,hence "Phillipine mahogany ". Save it for sure. 
mike
Haha, in hindsight, I realize that that was a silly question to ask here. Ok, I'll grab it and add it to my stash/collection. No clue what I'll do with it yet.

I'm going to have to figure out what to do with a bunch of other wood too. We're going through my grandpa's estate (20 acres in the country) in preparation for selling it. It has been a great place to store things that I don't have room for. I have 4 flitch-cut logs of lumber stored up there, along with some other random boards and the lauan/luan (seen it spelled both ways) now. That's a lot of wood to store in the suburbs on top of what I already have. Good problem to have, I guess.

Tyler
Luan was poor-man's Mahogany (called same) then replaced the latter as those stocks dried up. It was the rage for interior finish and doors. Sort of the one-two-punch with Spanish Walnut; black and black. It's the reason I refuse to paint clear finished open grain wood. Memory tells me, according to Constantine's, it has the look and nothing else of Mahogany.
(05-07-2018, 11:43 AM)hbmcc Wrote: Luan was poor-man's Mahogany (called same) then replaced the latter as those stocks dried up. It was the rage for interior finish and doors. Sort of the one-two-punch with Spanish Walnut; black and black. It's the reason I refuse to paint clear finished open grain wood. Memory tells me, according to Constantine's, it has the look and nothing else of Mahogany.

I was given several boards of it and was also wondering what to use it for, so I decided to resew it into 3/8" boards and made a couple of serving trays with it and stained them with Mahogany dye and actually the trays came out nice and My wife snatched them up pretty quickly so it s useful.
In junior high wood shop, it was considered the preferred wood. We had that and pine. Most projects were made from both woods for a contrast.