Need cleaner recommendation for prefinished flooring
We just bought a house that has prefinished solid maple flooring.The finish seems to be nearly crystal clear with a little bit of a satin look, not high gloss and is very hard, almost like it was baked on. Spot cleaning with a paper towel dampened with water seems to leave streaks or smears. The previous owners had used Bona hardwood cleaner.

We're wondering if anyone has experience with this flooring and can point us to a good hardwood cleaner.

Thanks,  g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(05-06-2018, 07:38 PM)shoottmx Wrote: We just bought a house that has prefinished solid maple flooring.The finish seems to be nearly crystal clear with a little bit of a satin look, not high gloss and is very hard, almost like it was baked on. Spot cleaning with a paper towel dampened with water seems to leave streaks or smears. The previous owners had used Bona hardwood cleaner.

We're wondering if anyone has experience with this flooring and can point us to a good hardwood cleaner.

Thanks,  g

We use an ounce or two of pine sol to a 32 oz. spray bottle of water.  Instead of a mop, we bought one of those bulk packs of micro fiber cloths.  They wrap nicely around one of the swiffer pad handles instead of their expensive throw-away cleaning cloths.  A light spray and wipe with the microfiber.  The floor is never getting wet and dries a few seconds later.
I also use Pine Sol, but with a mop...but a well wrung out one (damp mop). Our last house had the problem you mention, I think it's from the use of cleaners with silicone in them. I had the hardwood professionally cleaned just before we put it up for sale, and the y actually looked (a lot) worse) than they did before the cleaning. In a panic I called a hardwood floor installer who suggested it was the cleaners used on the wood. I had to scrub the crap off with ammonia (2 days on my hands and knees) using bottle with the ammonia solution and Scotch Brite pads, then wipe it dry. Fixed everything. Try a small area and see if it helps. If it's the floor polish, you'll see it come off in white piles of gunk.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks cams and fred,

We appreciate your experience, wish I had thought to ask the Woodnet brain trust sooner,

g

Swiffer.  Fast.  Easy.  No damage.

I also use the wet swiffer pads to clean the hand prints on the kitchen cabinets.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(05-07-2018, 07:18 AM)Cooler Wrote: Swiffer.  Fast.  Easy.  No damage.

I also use the wet swiffer pads to clean the hand prints on the kitchen cabinets.

Cooler,
Do you use the wet pads on the floor too?

Thanks, g

The pro floor folks on another forum I frequent recommend soap and water for hardwood floors.

LOML buys wet Swiffers---convenient but very pricey and are only good for small areas or mostly already clean floors. Not the whole house with three dogs.
Raised
(05-06-2018, 07:38 PM)shoottmx Wrote: We just bought a house that has prefinished solid maple flooring.The finish seems to be nearly crystal clear with a little bit of a satin look, not high gloss and is very hard, almost like it was baked on. Spot cleaning with a paper towel dampened with water seems to leave streaks or smears. The previous owners had used Bona hardwood cleaner.

Thanks,  g
We have always used Bona with good results, on both pre-finished and poly floors.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
(05-07-2018, 10:12 AM)shoottmx Wrote: Cooler,
Do you use the wet pads on the floor too?

Thanks, g
My housekeeper made me get the wet jet and the duster.  I bought the wet pads by error once and I used them to clean up the old oak cabinets.  They worked really well and seemed fine on the finish.

The last time I bought Waterlox they were only recommending Swiffer for their finishes.  With that information in hand I took it as a sign that Swiffer was good for wood finishes.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thanks everyone. We picked up a pack of microfiber cloths and some Pine Sol today. Will giveit a try tomorrow. Thanks for all the fedback.

g