Rockwell tool. Should I be miffed or just my tough luck?
Funny thing about someone taking over the Rockwell name for tools is that when they put that name on with Delta, it wasn't a good thing for their reputation.

I looked at Rockwell when I was buying an oscillating tool, and the low quality just made me look at other tools.  I'm a little surprised that they treated the OP as well as they did.  When you are selling on price, I don't really see much benefit in maintaining a reputation for generous customer service.

I know someone that bought a brand new Bridgeport mill.  Then proceeded not to use it at all for the length of the warranty.  First job he does is outside the warranty, and the spindle bearings were installed improperly and died very quickly.  Bridgeport was unapologetic and the tech they sent to fix it was $$$. I tried to talk him into sending the spindle to one of the aftermarket companies that upgrades the spindle, but he's the kind of guy that wants all brand name, so he went with the factory tech.
(05-07-2018, 02:38 PM)iublue Wrote: I bought a Rockwell Sonicrafter, the F30 so not the top of the line.  I didn't think I would use it much and I was right.  I bet it doesn't have 4 hours of total run time on it.  I registered it which extended the warranty out to three years.

I recently did a complete bathroom gut and rebuild for a couple and used it to cut out the fiberglass tub and some other odds and ends.  Towards the end of the project, the switch began acting weird.  It wouldn't start and moving the switch would get it started but by the end I couldn't shut it off, I just had to unplug it.

I contacted Rockwell.  I registered it on Dec 21st 2014.  So, it was four months over the limit.  They informed me that it was out of warranty but they could give me 20% off of a new one or send me the part for free.  I told them to send me the part but I did on more than one occasion point out that it was only FOUR months over and a company that was interested in good customer service would over look those four months.  Rockwell said they can't make any adjustments.

Should I have been miffed or were they being reasonable?

Watch out what you ask for.  They nailed Pat to the cross in another thread by assuming things.

Now my answer

It seems kind of thin line how the tool was not used very much and broke 4 months after, but not every business is like Lee Valley but then again not to many buyers from Lee Valley are crooks which seems are so overwhelming nowadays which hurts the rest of us who do have something to ask about.

Are they in the right to deny the claim Yes, do they personally know you and your honesty, No and hence what they said.  It was good of them to offer the part tho and I applaud them for that.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(05-07-2018, 03:04 PM)jteneyck Wrote: IMO they were being reasonable.

John

+1
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-07-2018, 03:04 PM)jteneyck Wrote: IMO they were being reasonable.  A three year warranty is already pretty generous as far as power hand tools goes.  With such low hours one wouldn't expect the switch to go South already but they did offer to send you the part for free which they were not obligated to do.  Personally, I'd be satisfied.  

John

Agree wholeheartedly with John. They upheld their end of the bargain and went beyond by sending the part free of charge IMO.

FWIW and as an aside, I have a quick story about this type of tool. I cheaped out when I first bought one and went for the Dremel on sale at HD; this was at least 5 years ago. Used the heck out of this tool doing demo on my home remodel projects and sure enough the variable speed feature went defective. It would vacillate between low and high speeds and became unreliable. Rather than try to repair it I decided to buy another one and a better brand this time. Did the research and bought the corded Bosh tool - absolutely love this tool! Had all the attachments I needed, plenty of power and has performed perfectly, again IMO.

Part of my decision was past experience with the Bosch company. They actually sent me a free router kit after I complained in an e-mail letter to their corporate CS folks about the way one of their contract sales reps acted at a WW show (not cool). It was totally unexpected and when I tried to return it the rep told me that it would take more of his time in paperwork than the kit was worth. I've enjoyed this tool immensely - was my very first Bosch tool.  

Fast forward a few years. I bought a factory recon Bosch cordless drill off of their CPO site. Used it severely for a year or so and something went wrong with it. I called Bosch CS and spoke with this guy about it. He said to send it to them and he would take a look at it. Long story short, they fixed it out of warranty and he included an extra battery with the drill when he mailed it back to me - I was astonished! In short, although I have a mix of tool brands I always remember the Bosch name when I'm looking for something new. "People buy from people they like" - it never changes! And their tools are pretty good too. Disclaimer: No professional association with the Bosch company whatsoever.

Doug
(05-12-2018, 10:27 AM)Tapper Wrote: Agree wholeheartedly with John. They upheld their end of the bargain and went beyond by sending the part free of charge IMO.

FWIW and as an aside, I have a quick story about this type of tool. I cheaped out when I first bought one and went for the Dremel on sale at HD; this was at least 5 years ago. Used the heck out of this tool doing demo on my home remodel projects and sure enough the variable speed feature went defective. It would vacillate between low and high speeds and became unreliable. Rather than try to repair it I decided to buy another one and a better brand this time. Did the research and bought the corded Bosh tool - absolutely love this tool! Had all the attachments I needed, plenty of power and has performed perfectly, again IMO.

Part of my decision was past experience with the Bosch company. They actually sent me a free router kit after I complained in an e-mail letter to their corporate CS folks about the way one of their contract sales reps acted at a WW show (not cool). It was totally unexpected and when I tried to return it the rep told me that it would take more of his time in paperwork than the kit was worth. I've enjoyed this tool immensely - was my very first Bosch tool.  

Fast forward a few years. I bought a factory recon Bosch cordless drill off of their CPO site. Used it severely for a year or so and something went wrong with it. I called Bosch CS and spoke with this guy about it. He said to send it to them and he would take a look at it. Long story short, they fixed it out of warranty and he included an extra battery with the drill when he mailed it back to me - I was astonished! In short, although I have a mix of tool brands I always remember the Bosch name when I'm looking for something new. "People buy from people they like" - it never changes! And their tools are pretty good too. Disclaimer: No professional association with the Bosch company whatsoever.

Doug

Interesting that you agreed with everyone that Rockwell acted reasonably AND then went on to give an example of AMAZING customer service with Bosch fixing a tool out of warranty and including a new battery.
(05-12-2018, 12:35 PM)iublue Wrote: Interesting that you agreed with everyone that Rockwell acted reasonably AND then went on to give an example of AMAZING customer service with Bosch fixing a tool out of warranty and including a new battery.

Obviously you read into my response what you wanted to hear. I didn't have a beef with Bosch about the drill. I just wanted to see what they had to say about fixing it. I didn't ask them to repair the drill out of warranty for nothing (I was going to pay for the repair work), they volunteered to do it. I also didn't ask for a free battery or indicate I was looking for anything for nothing - they sent it of their own volition.  It's an example of what can happen when you call a company and rather than pound them over the head, ask them nicely what can be done to fix the tool.

Got it?

Doug

P.S. If the rep would've told me that because the drill was out of warranty (again, factory refurb from CPO Bosch) then I would've been faced with a decision: Pay to have it repaired or live with the situation, i.e. scrap it and buy another drill from the vendor of my choice. Bosch chose to step up. I am thankful they did and haven't forgotten, i.e. "people buy from people they like." It never changes.
(05-12-2018, 10:57 PM)Tapper Wrote: Obviously you read into my response what you wanted to hear. I didn't have a beef with Bosch about the drill. I just wanted to see what they had to say about fixing it. I didn't ask them to repair the drill out of warranty for nothing (I was going to pay for the repair work), they volunteered to do it. I also didn't ask for a free battery or indicate I was looking for anything for nothing - they sent it of their own volition.  It's an example of what can happen when you call a company and rather than pound them over the head, ask them nicely what can be done to fix the tool.

Got it?

Doug

P.S. If the rep would've told me that because the drill was out of warranty (again, factory refurb from CPO Bosch) then I would've been faced with a decision: Pay to have it repaired or live with the situation, i.e. scrap it and buy another drill from the vendor of my choice. Bosch chose to step up. I am thankful they did and haven't forgotten, i.e. "people buy from people they like." It never changes.

I have no idea how you ever reach the conclusions in your post from my post.  I didn't not say ANYTHING about you asking to have the drill repaired.  I said, "AMAZING customer service with Bosch fixing a tool out of warranty and including a new battery.", which it was.

Also, I did NOT "pound them over the head" about ANYTHING.  I contacted them about my tool saying that I knew I registered it but I did not know the exact date.  That is when I was informed that it was out of warranty.  Here is the original email I sent to Rockwell.

"I have a SonicCrafter F30. I am sure I don't have the original receipt but I did register it with you. The last time I used it, it started to not want to turn on when I flip the switch. Then, it would start and stop and if I flipped the switch again it might start again. Then it got to the point where it would run in either position and I just had to unplug it to stop it. Is there any relief from Rockwell? Thank you, I look forward to hearing from you."  No head pounding there irregardless of your assumption.

Finally, it is not a given that I will receive the part from them.  They said it would take 2-3 weeks to determine the part and availability.  So, there is a good chance I will buy another one since even if they supply the part, I have a job coming up that I might need it on.  I will not be buying a Rockwell.  As you stated "people buy from people they like".  I will probably buy a Bosch and your experience would be a factor.
I have a 2014 Silverado (Chevy) pickup. The last day of the warranty (evening) the automatic setting on the AC quit working. I called GM the next morning after contacting the dealership, and they said they usually don't help much outside of warranty. I told them I wouldn't be very pleased if my first repair came the day after the warranty expired. He took my info and gave me a documentation number and said they would contact the dealer. Well it turned out that it was a glitch and it has worked fine. Too bad winter came (Wisconsin), but the heater worked great. I don't really have a point, but I wouldn't have been very happy.
(05-13-2018, 07:02 AM)iublue Wrote: I have no idea how you ever reach the conclusions in your post from my post.  I didn't not say ANYTHING about you asking to have the drill repaired.  I said, "AMAZING customer service with Bosch fixing a tool out of warranty and including a new battery.", which it was.

Also, I did NOT "pound them over the head" about ANYTHING.  I contacted them about my tool saying that I knew I registered it but I did not know the exact date.  That is when I was informed that it was out of warranty.  Here is the original email I sent to Rockwell.

"I have a SonicCrafter F30. I am sure I don't have the original receipt but I did register it with you. The last time I used it, it started to not want to turn on when I flip the switch. Then, it would start and stop and if I flipped the switch again it might start again. Then it got to the point where it would run in either position and I just had to unplug it to stop it. Is there any relief from Rockwell? Thank you, I look forward to hearing from you."  No head pounding there irregardless of your assumption.

Finally, it is not a given that I will receive the part from them.  They said it would take 2-3 weeks to determine the part and availability.  So, there is a good chance I will buy another one since even if they supply the part, I have a job coming up that I might need it on.  I will not be buying a Rockwell.  As you stated "people buy from people they like".  I will probably buy a Bosch and your experience would be a factor.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

Doug
The last word on this saga came in an email yesterday,

No availability on the part.

I think I will take it apart and see if dust is the answer.  If dust isn't the answer I will just throw it away and get a new one.