Bandsaw Tries - Clean or Replace?
Hi All - I have a Delta 12" bandsaw that was purchased in 1993 - has been used infrequently and for quick cuts only - the other day I changed the blades (switched to a 1/4" one to cut out a polycarbonate base for my new Rigid cordless router - another tread).  Well, I noticed some minor saw dust & resin on the tires (see pics below) - the blades track fine - but was just wondering, what are the recommendations for cleaning these tires (not sure of the material - assume some type of synthetic rubber) or should each be replaced periodically, especially after 25 years in my shop - thanks for any comments.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
Dave, I am no expert!!!!!  If it were me, I would clean the tires carefully but thoroughly and call it good.  I think you will know without a doubt when it is time to change tires.  Don't remember now just how I knew mine had  to be changed, but there was no question.

Probably someone is going to chime in and say don't listen to that Holt guy, he's all wet.  And I may be.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(05-07-2018, 04:47 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Dave, I am no expert!!!!!  If it were me, I would clean the tires carefully but thoroughly and call it good.  I think you will know without a doubt when it is time to change tires.  Don't remember now just how I knew mine had  to be changed, but there was no question.

Probably someone is going to chime in and say don't listen to that Holt guy, he's all wet.  And I may be.

Thanks Bill - boy, searching brings up a bunch of varied suggestions - the manual states to use a stiff brush (which might just be enough), another search said 150G sand paper, and many a variety of liquids from naphtha, to saw blade cleaners, to even oven removal (NO way!) - assume the tires are urethane - probably will first use a stiff bristle brush and then one of my more benign blade/router bit cleaners - naphtha or DA would likely not be a problem as a second step.

As to replacement, checked the eReplacement Parts website and the item has been discontinued (first pic below) - Amazon actually offers replacement tires via a MP vendor (2nd pic) - but will await comments as to whether cleaning is sufficient (which I believe would be fine) or whether these tires should be replaced after being on the machine for 25 years?  I'm sure we have plenty of 'bandsaw experts' who will hopefully 'chime in' w/ advice.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
(05-07-2018, 04:33 PM)giradman Wrote: Hi All - I have a Delta 12" bandsaw that was purchased in 1993 - has been used infrequently and for quick cuts only - the other day I changed the blades (switched to a 1/4" one to cut out a polycarbonate base for my new Rigid cordless router - another tread).  Well, I noticed some minor saw dust & resin on the tires (see pics below) - the blades track fine - but was just wondering, what are the recommendations for cleaning these tires (not sure of the material - assume some type of synthetic rubber) or should each be replaced periodically, especially after 25 years in my shop - thanks for any comments.  Dave
Smile

I use a stiff toothbrush when I'm cutting resinous wood.  Dampen with MS or other non-polar solvent and spin the wheel.  At school, where kids forgot a lot, I'd run an non-sharp steel edge against the tire, pressing just enough to make the rubber flex and flake the burned stuff off.  Then follow with brush and MS.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
If the tires aren't cracked, hard, brittle, or loose on the wheels I'm in the clean them and keep using them camp. 

John
(05-07-2018, 07:03 PM)jteneyck Wrote: If the tires aren't cracked, hard, brittle, or loose on the wheels I'm in the clean them and keep using them camp. 

John

Thanks John - none of the above on my tires - I'll give them a 'cleaning' and continue to use for another quarter of a century - 
Winkgrin 
Cool  Dave
Piedmont North Carolina
(05-07-2018, 07:33 PM)giradman Wrote: Thanks John - none of the above on my tires - I'll give them a 'cleaning' and continue to use for another quarter of a century - 
Winkgrin 
Cool  Dave

Yup, clean, toothbrush.  When they fail, replace.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(05-07-2018, 07:40 PM)Admiral Wrote: Yup, clean, toothbrush.  When they fail, replace.

Will do!  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
Yea maybe a light wire brushing......keep on keeping on.....
Winkgrin
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

After reading the comments and those that I found searching, I first used a combination of a brass brush and 220G sandpaper (the brush was great on the upper tire; OK on the lower one but needed to add the sandpaper) - second step was a light wiping of both tires w/ naphtha - below a couple of pics - tires look cleaned and no central depressions - believe that I'll not invest in new tires - Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina