Bandsaw Tries - Clean or Replace?
(05-07-2018, 10:10 PM)giradman Wrote: After reading the comments and those that I found searching, I first used a combination of a brass brush and 220G sandpaper (the brush was great on the upper tire; OK on the lower one but needed to add the sandpaper) - second step was a light wiping of both tires w/ naphtha - below a couple of pics - tires look cleaned and no central depressions - believe that I'll not invest in new tires - Dave
Smile

They look great.  Well done.  

Dust collection would help keep them clean. Maybe you have it there somewhere but I don't see any.

John
The tyres on my Hammer 4400 need cleaning every now-and-then as grit gets under the blades and presses into the rubber.

I brush off what I can with a bristle (not wire), and then lubricate with soapy water and use a card scraper to scrape the remaining gunk off the surface. This does not scratch or damage the rubber, and leaves the surface clean.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(05-08-2018, 08:21 AM)jteneyck Wrote: They look great.  Well done.  

Dust collection would help keep them clean.  Maybe you have it there somewhere but I don't see any.  

John

(05-08-2018, 08:54 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: The tyres on my Hammer 4400 need cleaning every now-and-then as grit gets under the blades and presses into the rubber.

I brush off what I can with a bristle (not wire), and then lubricate with soapy water and use a card scraper to scrape the remaining gunk off the surface. This does not scratch or damage the rubber, and leaves the surface clean.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for the comments - as to dust collection, there is a port on the side not shown in my pics which is next to the motor - accepts a 2 1/4" hose which I always attach to my main dust collector; also there are brushes on both wheels that still are good.

The brush that I used was brass (not a wire ferrous one) which is quite soft and gentle - worked fine for me.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
When I bought my old Delta 14" bs, the tires were cracked real bad, and the saw still cut perfectly.
I replaced them with the new poly tires and it cut the same.  2 years later, one of the new tires splt at the welded seam.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Dave

Some may think it is dangers but I have taken 180 grit paper and ran it over the tires to take off the dust when it builds up.  Yes it is running and I do it before it goes to the guides and the largest space but way before the guides.

The wheels do have brushes to clean off the big stuff but not all of it.  I also found that since I do not clean it and have not hooked up the DC to it enough it will get more dust on it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.