Water Stones - Keep in Water or Not?
Thanks for the further comments - I ask the Norton rep about the construction of the Norton stones - her answer is quoted below - appears that these stones can be stored 'indefinitely' in water w/ the only issue being the 8000 grit.

@ Rosabella - only 2 posts w/ a link to a game site - are you trolling or spamming?  Just a question - if so, unlikely to get any business from a bunch of woodworkers, just saying; if I'm wrong, then an apology.  Dave
Smile

Quote:Our water stones have either a vitrified bond or a resin bond depending on the grit size.

Trish Dawson 
Piedmont North Carolina
(05-10-2018, 10:51 PM)rosabella Wrote: I think whether or not you can permanently soak or not depends a lot on the binding agent holding the abrasive particles together. It's not always easy to tell what type you have, but often some google searches will let you know. There are a few main types of binding agents, including resinoid, ceramic, clay, and magnesia geometry dash

Hi spammer

(05-10-2018, 11:02 PM)giradman Wrote: @ Rosabella - only 2 posts w/ a link to a game site - are you trolling or spamming?  Just a question - if so, unlikely to get any business from a bunch of woodworkers, just saying; if I'm wrong, then an apology.  Dave
Smile

Ayup. She's posted a link in all of her? posts.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I soaked my Norton waterstones continuously for years in small plastic containers, not a problem for 1000/4000/8000. I do the same with my Sigma ceramics that replaced the Norton's and no issues either.

I don't use bleach and never had any growth but I change the water every now and then. I sometimes add a tiny bit of dish detergent to counteract any oil that remains on the blade and transfers to the stone, this caused no issues for the Norton's or Sigma's.

I believe letting a wet stone freeze would crack it or possibly turn it to powder, I bring them inside the house if that's a risk.
I had the Delta Sharpener and it was useless. The reddish sharpening stone easily becomes unbalanced with little use and wobbles.  It was replaced with DMT hand sharpening diamond plates...they work ; also Wolverine sharpening tools for woodturning..they work.  There are a few tools out like this that are sold forever because manufacturers with no integrity will take your cash.  A second trash tool to avoid is the Sear's Dovetail jig-the plastic jigs move with pressure from the router.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
The Veritas Mk II honing system is one I have that works.  There are so many sharpening systems out there...it has been out a while but new stuff keeps on coming out.  The best way to find which tools are best is to take  woodworking classes.  They may seem expensive but can give you insight to others experience with tools.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
(05-17-2018, 05:41 PM)paulmaine Wrote: I had the Delta Sharpener and it was useless. The reddish sharpening stone easily becomes unbalanced with little use and wobbles.  It was replaced with DMT hand sharpening diamond plates...they work ; also Wolverine sharpening tools for woodturning..they work.  There are a few tools out like this that are sold forever because manufacturers with no integrity will take your cash.  A second trash tool to avoid is the Sear's Dovetail jig-the plastic jigs move with pressure from the router.

Paul..... - are you referring to the Delta sharpening machine that I posted?  If so, I've not been happy w/ this stone for the same reason and have rarely used the other stone - maybe time for me to donate this to Habitat?  Wish that others may input?  Thanks - Dave
Piedmont North Carolina