New controller for 5hp 230V Colombo Spindle?
I used to power 5hp 230V Colombo Spindle with 230V 3 phase, but I am running out of a residential garage now, so the AC Tech controller will not work. I assume I will need another controller.

I am not sure about 230v single and 3 phase, although from what I have read the 230v available in a residence will be single phase. Is there a way to power the spindle with 230V 1 phase or create 3 phase 230V from 230V 1 phase?

What controller unit can you recommend?
I am powering a 2 phase 5hp motor with a single phase input VFD from huanyang*.  I wouldn't give up on the AC Tech without trying it. Just hook up the two single phase lines to two of the input terminals and leave the other one unconnected. Consulting with the manual is a good idea. I used an AC Tech at work, it's a really nice vfd.

*huanyang is on amazon now, I suspect that cuts down on the counterfeit units that abound on ebay. I am not sure if mine is genuine or not, they seem to be using modules now instead of individual power devices. Mine has individual devices.
It turns out the controller I have can take either single phase or 3 phase.
Thank you for the replies.

My controller can take either single phase or three phase power. That's a big relief. I didn't want to spend money on a new controller. I'm a little unhappy that the spindle vendor used a lower horse power controller on a 5hp spindle. My assumption was that the controller would be 5hp as well. This is the controller that I have on my spindle. https://www.clrwtr.com/Products/ESV222N02YXC
(05-11-2018, 07:23 AM)vinnygalbo Wrote: Thank you for the replies.

My controller can take either single phase or three phase power. That's a big relief. I didn't want to spend money on a new controller. I'm a little unhappy that the spindle vendor used a lower horse power controller on a 5hp spindle. My assumption was that the controller would be 5hp as well. This is the controller that I have on my spindle. https://www.clrwtr.com/Products/ESV222N02YXC

A 5 hp VFD may not be capable of full output with single-phase input, and wouldn't be rated for single-phase input if that's the case.  That may be why they used that unit, but the oversized motor is a waste in that case.  And it doesn't need a vector drive, either, but there's certainly no harm in it.

Just checked their product line, and the next size up in that series, which is 5 hp rated, is 3-phase input only.  https://www.clrwtr.com/Catalog/Shop-All-...V402N02TXC
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I expect that a 5hp vfd with single phase input would have really bad ripple current and that would be a problem for the electric utility, the house wiring, and the input caps. I suppose you could put a filter on it. Active power factor compensation doesn't seem to have caught on.