Brass plated machine screws
I need some #10-32 flat heat brass plated machine screws. I only need 2 right now but it would be good for me to have a small stock of these for future needs. The only place I found these are sold in pairs at home depot on line. McMaster-Carr has solid brass screws for a good price. I am needing them to hold these handles on trunks that could weigh 100-150lbs. I know these handles come with screws but often I have a missing t-nut or bolt. This time I have a bad t-nut and ended up stripping 2 bolts. Do you think the solid brass screws would be strong enough? Or do you have another source for brass plated screws?
(05-11-2018, 03:19 PM)Bope Wrote: Do you think the solid brass screws would be strong enough? Or do you have another source for brass plated screws?

Apparently, yes, three 10-32 brass screws would support 150 lbs.  I am assuming you have already replaced the defective t-nuts.

Edit:  This Technical paper suggests that one 6-32 brass screw can  support a load of 640 lbs before the machine bolt fails.  A 10-32 should be significantly more. 
 Additionally You could opt to increase the length of the barrel of the t-nut to the maximum your application would allow to try to gain additional strength.  But I am not sure if that would make a difference.  While reading a Fastenal Technical paper, it seems that one of the characteristics of a good bolt is that the body of the bolt should fail before the threads fail.  It said that was important so as if there is a failure it is noticed without being hidden by the nut.  But I am not a materials engineer.
Mild steel has a tensile strength of about 70,000 psi. Brass has a tensile strength of 50,000 psi. So steel in tensile is stronger, but not as much as you might imagine.

As long as the fasteners are nice and tight shear strength should not be an issue.

Brass will oxidize fairly quickly so clear coat it if you want it to remain bright.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I have been amazed at the stock my ACE HARDWARE stores carry in store, especially brass fasteners. By the each. Might be worth a try.

Thank you for the information. I will check out Ace if they are open. My Ace hardware never seems to be open when I need something. It sounds like the brass will work. Most likely I would never have to use 3 in any one handle so I should be good.
(05-12-2018, 08:07 AM)Bope Wrote: Thank you for the information. I will check out Ace if they are open. My Ace hardware never seems to be open when I need something. It sounds like the brass will work. Most likely I would never have to use 3 in any one handle so I should be good.

Micro fasteners, there on the web. I buy from them regularly, fast and reasonable shipping.
mike