Turn Spectraply? Read this warning first
I found this on another forum. It's worth reading if you turn Spectraply.
Read this warning !!!
Herb

I think this is a 1 in 1,000,000 kind of thing.  I have turned many without issue.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Yeah, but any unsuspecting turner would be in for a surprize if that chunk flew out at you while turning.

[Image: scare3.gif]
ANY man made material can contain foreign objects. The OP only happened to find his in Spectraply and blamed the material.

I have seen bugs trapped in 2” thick acrylic sheets, and ALL SORTS of weird things pressed into sheet goods.

And, of course, even actual wood Lumber can hide all sorts of objects that get absorbed of even shot into the trunk.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(05-13-2018, 03:35 AM)Herb G Wrote: I found this on another forum. It's worth reading if you turn Spectraply.
Read this warning !!!

Looks like a good reminder that it is a good idea to use a metal detector on any wood before we start turning it.

Thanks for the reminder.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(05-13-2018, 02:24 PM)iclark Wrote: Looks like a good reminder that it is a good idea to use a metal detector on any wood before we start turning it.

Thanks for the reminder.

I would say that is a great idea if a person can afford one.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(05-13-2018, 01:05 PM)handi Wrote: And, of course, even actual wood Lumber can hide all sorts of objects that get absorbed of even shot into the trunk.

I've found shotgun pellets in wood that I was turning, and some other wood I was ripping down on a tablesaw.
https://www.woodcraft.com/categories/metal-detectors
(05-13-2018, 01:05 PM)handi Wrote: ANY man made material can contain foreign objects. The OP only happened to find his in Spectraply and blamed the material.

I have seen bugs trapped in 2” thick acrylic sheets, and ALL SORTS of weird things pressed into sheet goods.

And, of course, even actual wood Lumber can hide all sorts of objects that get absorbed of even shot into the trunk.

3" long 3/8 eye bolt in a piece of boxelder, buried 4" deep.
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

(05-14-2018, 04:22 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: https://www.woodcraft.com/categories/metal-detectors

Thanks Dusty

I read this on the description and $26 is not very much.

**Find nails, screws, staples or other metal with this detector instead of with your planer, bandsaw, or joiner blades! Inexpensive and easy to use, this hand held unit quickly scans recycled wood to save time, and avoid expensive blade changes. Alerts metal presence with both LED lights and audible tone. Requires one 9 volt battery, not included.
  • Inexpensive and easy to use
  • LED lights and audible tone**
It does not say how deep it goes but with the highlighted it does not seem to deep.

Biggest thing to me is not only lumber but logs and the one I seen costs over $120.

I did have a few logs with shotgun slugs and what looks like .45 too and something with a copper jacket.