Bosch miter saw blade guard sticking
I was asked to look at a Bosch 5412L crosscut miter saw which had a blade guard that was not retracting smoothly. The operator had to manually get it started the first couple of inches. A dangerous situation especially since it was used in a school shop.

I found a few references on the web to this problem with no clear solutions.

After some tinkering I came up with this idea. I attached a 1.25" O.D. flat washer using aluminum pop rivets to the linkage at the point where it was hanging up on the bearing. This change resulted in a smoother transition across the arm and the guard now retracts easily.

I added a pair of flat washers behind the bearing so it is centered on the linkage and 1.25" washer.

Bill

Attached Files Image(s)

(05-13-2018, 08:48 PM)wjt Wrote: I was asked to look at a Bosch 5412L crosscut miter saw which had a blade guard that was not retracting smoothly. The operator had to manually get it started the first couple of inches. A dangerous situation especially since it was used in a school shop.

I found a few references on the web to this problem with no clear solutions.

After some tinkering I came up with this idea. I attached a 1.25" O.D. flat washer using aluminum pop rivets to the linkage at the point where it was hanging up on the bearing. This change resulted in a smoother transition across the arm and the guard now retracts easily.

I added a pair of flat washers behind the bearing so it is centered on the linkage and 1.25" washer.

Bill

Often a wood sliver that lodges between the blade and guard causes the guard to stick. I have sometimes removed the blade and cleaned the guard to remedy the situation.

mike