DIY Panel Clamps!
Doesn't explain how.
Just says that it does it.
I don't see it.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(05-15-2018, 07:42 AM)Pirate Wrote: Doesn't explain how.
Just says that it does it.
I don't see it.

Imagine an F-style clamp.  When you clamp something between the jaws, the bar tends to flex inwards towards the piece being clamped, right?  Now put another F-style clamp on the opposite face of that board.  Now you have 2 bars flexing inward towards your piece.  Now replace those bars with the wooden cauls in this panel clamp setup, and when you turn the toggle, the wooden cauls bow inward holding your panel flat.
Aaaaaaah!

Thanks, Paul!
Semper fi,
Brad

Mike,

I had to read that a couple of times before it clicked. Sounds like a great system for a production shop.
Semper fi,
Brad

Here is another flatner that can be used with pipe clamps or parallels to make some pretty sweet panel clamp ups.
http://www.cggschmidt.com/larryclamp.html

BTW - Love the DIY idea too. Just showing some other ideas I think are cool.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Good video on this topic,  go to 3:30 for an explanation of how the clamping pressure works

http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/rww...el-clamps/
~ Chris
That's the same video I linked, I think.

Wink
Semper fi,
Brad

Another video suggested by YouTube also appeals to me.

If one part of each set of wedges is drilled with a series of half-holes that match the D of the bolt, then it should stay put.

I might give this style a try.

(05-15-2018, 08:13 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Mike,

I had to read that a couple of times before it clicked.  Sounds like a great system for a production shop.

Inexpensive too. I made 7 pairs of these cauls which is enough for at least 8'-0" of panel length. The bolts and washers probably cost under $20.00 and I do not recall the cost of the cast T nuts. The first couple of years I had stamped steel T nuts in the cauls, one by one they stripped out. I replaced them with the cast ( zinc I believe) T nuts and have never had those strip out. The lumber was just stuff laying around. Even in a home shop , this method would work as the cost is low and when not needed the cauls take up very little room.

mike
(05-15-2018, 11:53 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: That's the same video I linked, I think.

Wink

Slap
~ Chris