DIY Panel Clamps!
Exclamation 
I just learned about panel clamps last week.  I wish I knew about them earlier!  I started looking about and found the set that Veritas sells.  Nice, but pricey, so I searched YouTube and found a walk through for making your own for *much* less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTmpLE2Vwjk&t=4s

So I made three sets for about $17.  Can't wait to mill the boards and give it a try on the next cradle I build.

[Image: 5oKqWwx.jpg]
Semper fi,
Brad

What exerts downward pressure, to align the board edges?
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
I could take a Black & Decker Bench Mate, add arms to the bench dog holes and have this made in less than two hours.  I might make new top panels as their bench dogs are not 3/4", are more like 0.780".  Just so I could use my standard bench dogs.

I already have an older one of these.  So I might just do that.

[Image: 81bA4hKKZxL._SL1500_.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I haven't quite figured out *how* they work but I've seen them work.
Semper fi,
Brad

Seeing them work is one thing.
I would need to feel the joint to decide, how they work.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(05-14-2018, 02:48 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I just learned about panel clamps last week.  I wish I knew about them earlier!  I started looking about and found the set that Veritas sells.  Nice, but pricey, so I searched YouTube and found a walk through for making your own for *much* less.

So I made three sets for about $17.  Can't wait to mill the boards and give it a try on the next cradle I build.

I like that system. Thanks for posting.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-14-2018, 02:48 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I just learned about panel clamps last week.  I wish I knew about them earlier!  I started looking about and found the set that Veritas sells.  Nice, but pricey, so I searched YouTube and found a walk through for making your own for *much* less.

I made a panel clamp 30 years ago that I seldom use now, retired carpenter. Basically I cut 7 2x3's  48" long.
Then bored holes for T nuts at 3" centers thru the 1-/12" face. I used 3/8" heavy duty T nuts , they are cast not steel stamped. Steel stamped T nuts are cheap but will strip the threads with prolonged use.
Now I have 7 pieces 48" long with 3" center t nuts. This is the back piece ,the front is another 2x3 with 1/2" holes bored thru, no t nuts ,just the holes. Now I have 7 sets of cauls that hang vertically off a lumber rack with French cleats. I have two different lengths of bolts for different panel thicknesses. 
I start by running a bolt top and bottom thru the outside 2x3 into the back one with the t nuts. I do this on the outside cauls at first. The boards are slid into the jig, resting on the bottom bolts. Each board is held 3 or 6" above the preceding boards for room to apply glue. I then start the rest of the bottom bolts. 
Glue is applied on the bottom board, the next board is lowered by removing the hold up bolts. I usually slide the second board back and forth a bit to spread the glue. Next board is done the same way. Repeat til width is achieved.
Now I snug up ,not tighten yet the top and bottom end bolts. The rest of the top bolts are installed and run up snug. I use a battery powered drill to run up the bolts. The torque adjustment comes in handy so the bolts are not over tight yet. I have pipe and bar clamps ready to pull the seams tight, they are added and the panel bolts are then tightened. 
I used to make softwood benches similar to a wood workers hardwood bench for various industrial outfits that wanted heavy duty lab benches. I could glue up 2 benches a day . I used to get orders of 20 or more at a time.
The press made this possible. 

mike
I like these.

[Image: 180A_zpsse6sprva.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1526346666077_zpsxso1lmka.jpg]

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(05-14-2018, 03:23 PM)Pirate Wrote: What exerts downward pressure, to align the board edges?
Like Pirate, I don't see where the downward pressure comes from.
(05-14-2018, 09:18 PM)humanrace Wrote: Like Pirate, I don't see where the downward pressure comes from.

The YouTube video explains that around the 4min and 14min mark.