Box for Granddaughter
Just finished up this box for granddaughter. Walnut box and lid and gaboon ebony knob. It has one coat of danish oil. The box turned out much darker than the lid 
Upset  The colors were much closer before finish. I don’t care for the darker color but once you start you're committed and with no scraps to test it’s a crap shoot on how the finish will take on two different pieces of wood. I haven’t decided if I’m going to put clear finish over the danish oil. I’ll decide after it dries for a couple days. Thanks for looking.
[Image: 28242855968_03bbfec52f_m.jpg][Image: 42069666202_7ae9eb5e30_m.jpg]
I think it looks fine,don't see any problem with it.I do notice the color difference,maybe give it a good buffing.Nice job.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
You did a very nice job on it.

The reason for the dark and light look is because of end grain on the bottom and side grain on the top.  End grain soaks it up and gives the dark look.

I would not worry about it since it looks good anyway.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I think it looks great.
(05-14-2018, 10:48 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: The reason for the dark and light look is because of end grain on the bottom and side grain on the top.  End grain soaks it up and gives the dark look.
I knew it was end grain, but I thought with clear danish oil I would avoid it getting so dark.
Next box will get a different finish plan of attack.
First and foremost it looks great.

There has to be more to the color difference then the end grain /side grain issue. The box itself is half and half.
Were the box and lid cut from the same piece of wood?
(05-16-2018, 01:09 PM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: Were the box and lid cut from the same piece of wood?

Two different pieces of wood.
The box piece (turning blank) I have had for a few years, it started out 6"X6"X5".
The top was made from a different piece of 6/4.
In hind sight, I should have cut the lid from the blank.
Make her another; send this to me.
Problem solved.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
The difference is a little noticeable, but I still like it...
Yes

Cool
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."