Panel glue uo without clamps
Just to tag onto a recent thread about making panel clamps, it is possible - indeed preferable I believe - to glue up panels without clamps.

Here's how ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/P...lamps.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I use the blue tape method on boxes but never considered it for panels.  

I really am afraid of being the reason my clamps suffer from rejection.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Derek,

I don't know whether the blue tape in Oz is thew same blue tape we have here, but ours is not very stretchy. 3M (and probably other manufacturers) makes a tape for pin striping automobiles and such that has more stretch than our regular blue tape. It is light green in color and the stretch helps it conform to curves on automobiles. I have been using it successfully for several years to glue panels exactly as you have pictured. The extra stretch seems to provide a little more pressure on the joint that our standard blue tape. FWIW

I use this method on thin (1/2" and under) panels. I still prefer my Bessys on anything greater than 1/2" thick.

Hank
Though I sometimes use tape for "clamping" solid edge banding I wouldn't use it for panel glue-ups as I have no trouble using real clamps. And, since I use epoxy glue, I like to pre-clean the squeeze-out, which would otherwise be partially hidden by tape.
Wood is good. 
Derek, 

You must own stock in one of the blue tape companies 
Smile
How much do you go through in a year?

Seriously - this is very cool and you are an inspiration... Always coming up with new ways to use old stuff. 

PK
The Apple wont fall;
Let's go and shake the tree.
(05-15-2018, 08:31 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Just to tag onto a recent thread about making panel clamps, it is possible - indeed preferable I believe - to glue up panels without clamps.

Here's how ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

I've always used this approach for veneers, and one time tried it on a wide panel just messing around..  It's just a work surface now but hasn't shown any sign of splitting or being weak.  Was rather surprised it worked as well as it did!
(05-15-2018, 08:31 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Just to tag onto a recent thread about making panel clamps, it is possible - indeed preferable I believe - to glue up panels without clamps.

Here's how ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Pinch dogs
mike
I prefer clamps because they allow me to move a panel aside while it dries and I glue up the next one or do something else while I wait.

That being said, I wholeheartedly agree with you that boards should only be glued up when they go together with no gaps. I have said often on my videos and on my TV show, using clamps to close gaps in a glue up only builds stress into the panel and is asking for failure.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.