What size hole to drill?
I'm using threaded inserts with an internal thread of 1/4-20. They're going into cherry agai grain and face grain.

The threads that engage the wood are tapered from .394" to .458".

The cylinder is also calle tapered, from .298" to .352".

Do I drill to match the greatest external diameter of the cylinder?

Thanks!

Never mind. I figured it out but WN won't allow me to delete this on my phone.
Semper fi,
Brad

Just for the record, the size hole I drill depends a lot on the material and placement of the insert.

I just used the same sort of insert you describe in the four corners of a piece of chip board that is the fixture for a CNC project. Drilled those holes just a bit smaller than the max thread diameter because I did not want the chip board to mushroom and they were not required to hold much force.

In a 2x4, I would be at the barrel diameter because the soft wood can take the threads. In oak, a larger hole. 

Usually, I drill a test hole of a scrap of what I will be putting the insert in so I can see how well it fits and adjust accordingLy with not risk to the project.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(05-15-2018, 05:36 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I'm using threaded inserts with an internal thread of 1/4-20.  They're going into cherry agai grain and face grain...

I measure the OD of the body, between the threads, using a digital caliper and drill a hole that size. Before inserting, I lightly wax the threads and use a Insert Nut Driver http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.as...,180,42334 to make sure it seats properly. 

HTH
Teak,

Yes. Thanks!

I didn't know there were inserts for hard and soft wood applications. Those I had were for soft wood and weren't working very well with cherry. I just ordered some brass pieces for hard wood and an installation tool.

Much appreciated!
Semper fi,
Brad

(05-18-2018, 05:42 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Teak,

Yes.  Thanks!

I didn't know there were inserts for hard and soft wood applications.  Those I had were for soft wood and weren't working very well with cherry.  I just ordered some brass pieces for hard wood and an installation tool.

Much appreciated!

Dang, should have asked how many you needed. I have lots of them.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(05-18-2018, 06:17 PM)museumguy Wrote: Dang, should have asked how many you needed. I have lots of them.

No worries!  I'll be needing them regularly in the future so I ordered 50 of them along with the installation bit.
Semper fi,
Brad