Another wobbly table
Apparently one of my machines is out of adjustment. This is the second wobbly table that I have had in 2 months.
I'm building a farmhouse table. I make alot of these. Today I installed the top and it is wobbly. When I take the top off, no wobble.
The top looks flat.
What do I do to fix this?

Eddie
The top wobbles on the base but the top itself is flat in all directions? Then the base is off.

Large tops tend to cup and warp which is why they need to be affixed all around. We are going to need more details about what it is that wobbles if you want more.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Right now with the top off, no wobble. Once I s rew the top on, wobble starts.
Type of table, aprons or not, weight of top, attachment method. Pictures would be best.
Table looks like this. I just took it apart and made sure everything is square. The aprons and the leg assembly are square.
When I put the top on, there's no wobble until I tighten down this one corner. I'm using pocket hole screws through the aprons to the top.
I guess my only option is 2 sand the bottom of the legs that touch the ground. But I hate doing that when I know the legs are identical length.
I've been doing this for 30 years and never had this problem.

Attached Files Image(s)

I am guessing, but it sounds like the pocket screw is pulling the base out of square, overwhelming thecombination of joinery and soft wood you have used. Do you glue each base joint? If you cannot rock the base at all (top off) then another theory might be better, but if there is any flex to the base then I am surprised it hasn’t happened before.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
(05-17-2018, 05:24 PM)Busdriver Wrote: Apparently one of my machines is out of adjustment. This is the second wobbly table that I have had in 2 months.
I'm building a farmhouse table. I make alot of these. Today I installed the top and it is wobbly. When I take the top off, no wobble.
The top looks flat.

Eddie

Shim or shave.  Fill a low spot or plane a high one, depending on the apron configuration.

"Guys, it won't sit right if I tighten this."

Don't tighten this....

The screws do allow for float across the grain, right?  Little float under won't hurt.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
While trying to sleep last night, I thought, if it starts wobbling when I tighten down one corner of the top to the apron, if I spin the top 180 degrees and tighten down the same corner to the opposite apron and if it wobbles, then I know it's the top. If it doesn't wobble and I tighten the top to the previous apron, then it's the apron. Correct?
(05-17-2018, 05:24 PM)Busdriver Wrote: Apparently one of my machines is out of adjustment. This is the second wobbly table that I have had in 2 months.
The top looks flat.

Eddie

Put some winding sticks on the table base  and then on the top before you screw it down.  See which one is out of wack.

RP
The top looks flat.

Eddie

It could be the floor of your shop also.

RP