Powermatic Tail Stock Swing Away - Questions
Does anyone have experience with the Powermatic Tail Stock Swing Away? I’m having a hard time finding much information (other than availability and specs), and am curious (i) whether anyone has experience with it and thoughts - does it do what it says it does and does it hold up over time, and (ii) how much clearance behind the lathe is needed. From pictures I have a rough guess on the clearance, figuring it is about equal to the height of the tail stock plus 2 - 3 inches.

The tail stock is heavy enough I’m looking for an alternative to pulling it off and setting it down to hollow, then putting back on.

Thanks,
John
(05-19-2018, 01:03 PM)jcredding Wrote: Does anyone have experience with the Powermatic Tail Stock Swing Away?  I’m having a hard time finding much information (other than availability and specs), and am curious (i) whether anyone has experience with it and thoughts - does it do what it says it does and does it hold up over time, and (ii) how much clearance behind the lathe is needed.  From pictures I have a rough guess on the clearance, figuring it is about equal to the height of the tail stock plus 2 - 3 inches.

The tail stock is heavy enough I’m looking for an alternative to pulling it off and setting it down to hollow, then putting back on.

Thanks,
John

John

I know the Guy who invented it and got mine from him.  About 10 years ago Tom went to PM to see if they would be interested in selling it and getting part of the profit from it.  PM said NO and so Tom went on to sell them on his own.  When PM seen how people wanted it and liked it they are now making them with out Toms approval and none of the money going to him either.
That plus when the paint started peeling on my unit I asked them if it was part of the warranty and they told me I could buy a can of spray paint for $25 and for $15 shipping for a total of $40.  Those two things have turned me off on PM/Jet products and I will not deal with them anymore.

If you would like to get one from Tom I will send you his info.

O and Yes it works GREAT and swings below the bed of the ways to be totally our of the way.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I purchased the swing away shortly after it was available from PM. It works well and is easy to use. Glad I purchased it. The installation took awhile to get the alignment correct for smooth operation w/o loostening the tailstock clamping adjustment. There are two set small screws used in the alignment process and they are close to the mounting cap screws. Tightening the cap screws overpowers the set screw adjustment so it takes quite a bit of fiddling to get alignment correct. The swing arc of the tailstock handle is significant. Not home now so can’t measure it, will respond by Monday evening. The tailstock doesn’t hang parallel to the bed w/o external support. I have read of a person removing the straight handle from the tailstock wheel to accommodate the swing arc.
From the rear corner of the bed way to a wall behind, you would need about 26 inches. If you swing the tailstock by the handwheel, there would be a chance your knuckles would rub the wall with 26 inches of clearance. You would need almost the same for a wall at the end of the Lathe.

Joe
(05-19-2018, 01:03 PM)jcredding Wrote: Does anyone have experience with the Powermatic Tail Stock Swing Away?  I’m having a hard time finding much information (other than availability and specs), and am curious (i) whether anyone has experience with it and thoughts - does it do what it says it does and does it hold up over time, and (ii) how much clearance behind the lathe is needed.  From pictures I have a rough guess on the clearance, figuring it is about equal to the height of the tail stock plus 2 - 3 inches.

Thanks,
John

Thanks for the reminder. I've been meaning to create an alternate option for getting my tailstock out of the way, without the "weightlifting". One day, I'll be too old to do it. (at least I hope so). I won't pay the amount of money being asked.
(05-20-2018, 08:34 PM)Joe K1 Wrote: From the rear corner of the bed way to a wall behind, you would need about 26 inches.  If you swing the tailstock by the handwheel, there would be a chance your knuckles would rub the wall with 26 inches of clearance. You would need almost the same for a wall at the end of the Lathe.

Joe

I forgot about that and glad you brought it up.  I did 28" to be safe and no knuckle hitting
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(05-20-2018, 08:34 PM)Joe K1 Wrote: From the rear corner of the bed way to a wall behind, you would need about 26 inches.  If you swing the tailstock by the handwheel, there would be a chance your knuckles would rub the wall with 26 inches of clearance. You would need almost the same for a wall at the end of the Lathe.

Joe

Thanks Joe.  I decided to order it - expensive but ultimately going to be worth it to me.  Will have to do some rearranging, but moving things in the shop seems to be a constant. 

Best,
John
John

How much do they sell it for now?

When I got mine from Tom he installed it and did something else of which I forgot and it cost $245 and it was made from Stainless Steel

Arlin - Tom’s is $335 and Powermatic is $295. John
(05-21-2018, 11:00 PM)jcredding Wrote: Arlin - Tom’s is $335 and Powermatic is $295.  John

John,

Could you comment on the differences between the 2 of them?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.