SCM Minimax FS41 Elite Jointer/Planer:THE REVIEW
(11-13-2019, 05:38 PM)jteneyck Wrote: You might want to put an absolute DRO on it.  I put one on my FS-35 and wonder why I waited so long.  It's especially helpful in going from the down position when jointing to a starting position for planning; much easier than looking at the ruler scale.  

John

Thanks Phil and John... I'm excited about the machine, which looks like an early 2020 purchase, and the DRO is something I've been thinking about...there are several out there, which vary considerably in price...any recommendations?
Thanks again,
Izzy
(11-13-2019, 09:33 PM)Israel Wrote: Thanks Phil and John... I'm excited about the machine, which looks like an early 2020 purchase, and the DRO is something I've been thinking about...there are several out there, which vary considerably in price...any recommendations?
Thanks again,
Izzy

I bought an AccuRemote  based on the positive review of a guy on SMC whos opinion I value and have not been disappointed.  Easy to set up, and very repeatable readings even after sitting unused for weeks.  I wanted to get one with a 120V adapter because some units eat batteries, but the AccuRemote is now about 9 months old and still on the first set of batteries so that seems unnecessary at least with this brand. 

John
I finally received this machine (FS41e) and am in the process of setting it up...looks very sturdy!  Phillip:  Could you re-post the pictures of the modification you made to the hand wheel to allow you to raise/lower with a hand drill...I'm afraid they're not showing up when I follow your thread...Thanks!  Any other modifications since you've now had it a while...
Thanks,
Izzy
(05-25-2018, 01:06 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Next it was time to give the planer a try.  This is where the changeover comes into play, and where many people have had endless discussions about the pros and cons of combination machines.  First let me say that I suspected I would not be a fan of the way the changeover breaks up the work sequence.  I suspected I would also not be a fan of cranking the planer table up and down during each changeover.  Now that I have had some experience with both, I can honestly say that I am indeed not a fan of either. 

There's no avoiding some switching between modes. I have a combo machine as well and try to do things in batches. Joint a batch of parts then switch over and plane them. I can't entirely avoid switching but have gotten better about reducing the number of times I have to do it.
(04-18-2021, 07:45 AM)kurt18947 Wrote: There's no avoiding some switching between modes. I have a combo machine as well and try to do things in batches. Joint a batch of parts then switch over and plane them. I can't entirely avoid switching but have gotten better about reducing the number of times I have to do it.

I have a combo as well.  Every time I start to grumble about the switch-over time, I look around my crowded shop and remind myself of how long it would take to put away  one tool and roll out the next.  Then I smile at my combo machine and go back to work.
Laugh
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
Izzy: sent you an email. Phil

(04-17-2021, 05:53 PM)Israel Wrote: I finally received this machine (FS41e) and am in the process of setting it up...looks very sturdy!  Phillip:  Could you re-post the pictures of the modification you made to the hand wheel to allow you to raise/lower with a hand drill...I'm afraid they're not showing up when I follow your thread...Thanks!  Any other modifications since you've now had it a while...
Thanks,
Izzy