Finally pulled the trigger...
I absolutely love my 1023!  

Congrats on your new saw!!!
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
(05-23-2018, 11:02 AM)Cian Wrote: Ahhhh... that New Tool smell.  Congrats!  
Cool

They should make a new tool smell in a spray can.
(05-25-2018, 02:26 PM)daddo Wrote:  They should make a new tool smell in a spray can.

They do:

http://www.cosmolinedirect.com/cosmoline...gLwoPD_BwE

Laugh
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
My new saw arrived just in time for Father's Day!!! I struggled for a long time with my decision, but I am very happy with the result. The saw was delivered Friday afternoon. It was too heavy for me to get from my garage to my basement shop even after removing the top and taking everything out of the box, so I hired a couple of movers to come over and get it moved into my shop Saturday morning. I spent a couple of hours getting it set up. It would have gone a lot faster, but I created a few extra tasks for myself by taking the top off. I'm kind of glad I did because I was forced to learn how to align the miter slot and fence to the blade.

The saw is so much quieter than my old direct-drive saw and it cuts like a dream; even with the blade it came with. The dust collection is better than I had feared based on hearing people talk about it. My old saw didn't have any dust collection, so I think it's amazing that my whole shop isn't full of dust after making a few cuts.

I am thrilled with my decision to buy the Grizzly G1023RL. I just wish I had vacation this week so I could spend the week in my shop catching up on projects that have been on hold while I waited for the saw!

Happy woodworking!

Scott
A big congrats....enjoy!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
If you went from a direct drive TS to that Griz, you didn't just step up, you made a quantum leap! 

Congrats and have fun with that beast!
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Congrats on getting your new saw.  Good thing you pulled the trigger when you did as things are going to get "interesting" if the proposed trade tariffs on woodworking machinery from China take effect in a few weeks.  Importers like Grizzly may be in for a difficult time.

Enjoy your saw.  It should serve you very well.  Oh, maybe your saw was made in Taiwan? Those machines should be unaffected.

John
One reason I decided to keep my older belt drive saw is because I've noticed most table saws have direct motors now. I will keep my saw permanently now if I have to make the parts myself.
(05-21-2018, 03:21 PM)scottbrader Wrote: I was actually a bit surprised that he encouraged me to go for the less expensive G1023RL. He went through the features of both saws and why the G1023RL was the right choice for me. He could have easily pushed me to spend a couple of hundred dollars more, but was genuinely interested in matching me with the best saw for my shop.

Curious as to what your concluding reasons were to go for the G1023RL vs the G0690?  Or was it simply based on price given the saws were functionally very similar?
(06-22-2018, 10:22 AM)Cian Wrote: Curious as to what your concluding reasons were to go for the G1023RL vs the G0690?  Or was it simply based on price given the saws were functionally very similar?

Cian,
I was quite prepared to spend the money for the G0690 if that's what they had recommended; however, Richard talked through several features that pushed the G1023RL to the top in my mind. A big factor for me was that the dust collection is better. The G1023RL has a blade shroud that is piped down to the DC connection along with the opening to the cabinet itself. Also, the G1023RL is a single, serpentine belt setup which he touted as a more efficient energy transfer. 

I don't know what I would have gained by going to the G0690 other than a different color cabinet.

Scott