<SOLD> HANDTOOLS: Stanley #27 1/2 and Buck Gouges
Ok, I'll be gushing a bit here, only because I generally pass on transitional planes, as they generally have lead a hard life, the soles have been jointed into oblivion, irons used up, and are rusted beyond reasonable rehab, without stripping and repainting.  But, when I do find one in exceptional condition, I'll snap it up.  This is one of those rare circumstances, remarkable not only for the condition of the plane, but its size.

So, for you woodie and transitional fans out there, what I've got is a Stanley #27 1/2, which is a #5 1/2 in the iron variety, in exceptional condition.  All original, it kept its condition because I found it in the bottom of a tool chest where it likely sat for a long, long time.  Triangle logo on the iron, that dates it to circa T11, 1917, so this is a century old piece.  Japanning on the metal pieces is 95%+, no oft found cracks in the wooden body, this one is solid (you might want to joint the sole after you sharpen it), mechanically 100% and all original.  Body is 15" long by 3" wide.  It is exceptional, not only for its condition, but you simply don't find many #27 1/2s out there, period, much less looking like this one.  The only apology is the chip to the tote horn.  A real peach, and if you are in to wooden planes, this is as good as it gets, and in a 5 1/2 size as well.

Teaser pic:
[Image: 42265998851_947cc6e6bc_b.jpg]

I've not found one like this ever in the 5 1/2 size.  Not quite collector quality due to the tote chip, but really close.  You can see additional pics in the Flickr album linked below. Yours for the very reasonable $60 plus shipping.  Transitionals in this condition don't come up very often, and even less in this size.

Now, in that same toolbox, were a whole bunch of truly vintage gouges.  Eight to be exact. 6 of them are clearly marked Buck Bros., the other two are marked, but I just can't make out the maker.  All need attention to the grinding of edges, and appear to have been owned by "WF Rogers" since he stamped his name on many of them.  This is a bulk deal blowout, $60 plus shipping, thats a bit over $7 per item, certain sizes would bring $20 or more if I reground them but I'm not into putting in the work, so this is a true bargain for someone looking for a set of user gouges.  Teaser pic, more in the flickr album:

[Image: 42265998661_c646523319_b.jpg]

As always, first PM with an unequivocal "I'll take it" gets priority, and please include your full shipping address in the PM so I can print up mailing labels and figure actual shipping.  Payment by USPS money order please, I don't have paypal, that is an new trick and I'm an old dog.  If I know you from the forum checks are dandy.

Flickr Album link for more pics:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/9433588@N0...7197381127

User tools priced reasonably, and in the case of the 27 1/2, exceptional and unique user tools.....  Thanks for looking.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(05-21-2018, 06:30 PM)Admiral Wrote: Ok, I'll be gushing a bit here, only because I generally pass on transitional planes, as they generally have lead a hard life, the soles have been jointed into oblivion, irons used up, and are rusted beyond reasonable rehab, without stripping and repainting.  But, when I do find one in exceptional condition, I'll snap it up.  This is one of those rare circumstances, remarkable not only for the condition of the plane, but its size.

So, for you woodie and transitional fans out there, what I've got is a Stanley #27 1/2, which is a #5 1/2 in the iron variety, in exceptional condition.  All original, it kept its condition because I found it in the bottom of a tool chest where it likely sat for a long, long time.  Triangle logo on the iron, that dates it to circa T11, 1917, so this is a century old piece.  Japanning on the metal pieces is 95%+, no oft found cracks in the wooden body, this one is solid (you might want to joint the sole after you sharpen it), mechanically 100% and all original.  Body is 15" long by 3" wide.  It is exceptional, not only for its condition, but you simply don't find many #27 1/2s out there, period, much less looking like this one.  The only apology is the chip to the tote horn.  A real peach, and if you are in to wooden planes, this is as good as it gets, and in a 5 1/2 size as well.

Teaser pic:
[Image: 42265998851_947cc6e6bc_b.jpg]

I've not found one like this ever in the 5 1/2 size.  Not quite collector quality due to the tote chip, but really close.  You can see additional pics in the Flickr album linked below. Yours for the very reasonable $60 plus shipping.  Transitionals in this condition don't come up very often, and even less in this size.

Now, in that same toolbox, were a whole bunch of truly vintage gouges.  Eight to be exact. 6 of them are clearly marked Buck Bros., the other two are marked, but I just can't make out the maker.  All need attention to the grinding of edges, and appear to have been owned by "WF Rogers" since he stamped his name on many of them.  This is a bulk deal blowout, $60 plus shipping, thats a bit over $7 per item, certain sizes would bring $20 or more if I reground them but I'm not into putting in the work, so this is a true bargain for someone looking for a set of user gouges.  Teaser pic, more in the flickr album:

[Image: 42265998661_c646523319_b.jpg]

As always, first PM with an unequivocal "I'll take it" gets priority, and please include your full shipping address in the PM so I can print up mailing labels and figure actual shipping.  Payment by USPS money order please, I don't have paypal, that is an new trick and I'm an old dog.  If I know you from the forum checks are dandy.

Flickr Album link for more pics:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/9433588@N0...7197381127

User tools priced reasonably, and in the case of the 27 1/2, exceptional and unique user tools.....  Thanks for looking.
And they're a heckova buy at the prices listed...for sure!!!!!!
Yes
Big eek
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

PM sent for gouges!
The tools are sold, four times over, sometimes you gotta be quick. Thanks to all for looking. Keep watching, I've got a nice 6, 5 and 4 in the works.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis