Nova chuck doesn't spin true
I been putting up with it for several years but its kinda a pain. I use a recess on my bowls but when mounting a half turned bowl a 15 in bowl will have 1/8 or so out of round. Is there something I can do for it. I have an insert in it for my Nova and wondered if it may be the insert a little off. You can visually see its not spinning true
What investigation hsve you done so far?

I'd try removing the insert from the chuck and checking for runout with just the insert mounted on the spindle.
If i remember correctly, there were some aftermarket adapters that would fit the nova but were not made for it causing some run-out.  I think they were Woodriver.  You might want to make sure yours is a genuine Teknatool insert.

Larry
Larry
(05-22-2018, 08:49 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: What investigation hsve you done so far?

I'd try removing the insert from the chuck and checking for runout with just the insert mounted on the spindle.

^^^^^^

What Dusty said.

One other thing is that it threaded on wrong.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Since it has been 3 years you may not remember but did the insert come in a small Teknatool box?  If not it is probably a bogus which Woodcraft was/is known for.
Do you have the 1/8" run out with a 15" bowl or with the chuck.  After reversing a 1/8" may be normal for a bowl that size until you re-true it. The chuck jaws can compress the grain differently and throw it off.
Some things to check with the chuck.
Remove the set screw holding the insert in and remove the insert.  Take a small brass brush or old toothbrush and go around the inside and in particular the end to see if any shards were left from milling.
When reinserting the insert make sure it seats well.  The transfer of power if from the end of the insert to the interior of the chuck body.  
Most of the time it is fine but I always put the chuck on the lathe and lock the spindle (before you put the setscrew back in to hold the insert), place a bar in the chuck jaws for leverage and see it if will seat further.  I had one I could turn another 1/8 to 1/4 turn which is quite a lot.
Were the jaws installed properly.  You install leaving about 1/2 turn loose then scroll the chuck in tightly to align the jaws, then tighten the screws.  If you tighten the screws first they may never align.  I assume they are in the correct positions.
(05-22-2018, 07:58 PM)NCPaladin Wrote: Since it has been 3 years you may not remember but did the insert come in a small Teknatool box?  If not it is probably a bogus which Woodcraft was/is known for.
Do you have the 1/8" run out with a 15" bowl or with the chuck.  After reversing a 1/8" may be normal for a bowl that size until you re-true it. The chuck jaws can compress the grain differently and throw it off.
Some things to check with the chuck.
Remove the set screw holding the insert in and remove the insert.  Take a small brass brush or old toothbrush and go around the inside and in particular the end to see if any shards were left from milling.
When reinserting the insert make sure it seats well.  The transfer of power if from the end of the insert to the interior of the chuck body.  
Most of the time it is fine but I always put the chuck on the lathe and lock the spindle (before you put the setscrew back in to hold the insert), place a bar in the chuck jaws for leverage and see it if will seat further.  I had one I could turn another 1/8 to 1/4 turn which is quite a lot.
Were the jaws installed properly.  You install leaving about 1/2 turn loose then scroll the chuck in tightly to align the jaws, then tighten the screws.  If you tighten the screws first they may never align.  I assume they are in the correct positions.

You can see the chuck body oscillating even when its empty. If I remember right I ordered the chuck and insert with the lathe but may be mistaken. I'm going to remove the insert clean it up and start again but pretty sure I cleaned it up in the beginning. We'll see what happens
I sure hope you get it going soon buddy.  I know how you use the off season to stock up on turnings.  Soon it will be time to sell all you have made during the winter months.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
When you check your insert note how the letter (indicates size) is stamped.
If it is standing up like the "L" on the right it is most likely an oem Nova.
If it is laying on its side like the one on the left it is a bogus one.
There are other differences as in the slight rounding of the hex on the Nova and the amount of meat remaining at the working end.

[Image: NovaLInsert.jpg]" />
(05-22-2018, 10:19 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I sure hope you get it going soon buddy.  I know how you use the off season to stock up on turnings.  Soon it will be time to sell all you have made during the winter months.

Yeah I'm so ready for season to start Heres the last one 

Runout in your chuck won't cause an out of round bowl.  It'll cause an off-center base or off-center depression.  And it'll be noticeable when you flip the bowl around for hollowing.  But, it's normal to get some sort of misalignment when flipping and remounting, as has been mentioned.  A bowl will turn round even with a chuck with runout because your tool rest provides a fixed reference point for turning.  If there's runout in the chuck or insert, you'll need to test it without a bowl mounted.  Also, test the spindle.  I had a Nova 1624 whose internal threads on the spindle were out of round (very small, but noticeable when turning pens).  Teknatool replaced the lathe for free.  They did have some quality issues when they moved production from New Zealand to China.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill