walk behind mower
(05-22-2018, 04:30 PM)Roly Wrote:  Are you talking blade clutch or drive clutch ?   Agree on the Honda engine.  Roly

The transmission for the wheel driving system.  It was nearly worn out.  I gave it to my gardener who used it until it finally failed.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(05-22-2018, 09:59 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Oh I hope you were kidding about the rotary blade. I have a hard enough time with a gas powered. I get 5 full brown paper bags of grass clippings as it is. That is not a small yard.

Get a good mulching mower and you won't have to bag.  The new mulchers, including my Toro, leave no visible clippings on the lawn as long as you don't let it grow more than a couple of inches between mowings.  When/if our old Honda dies it will get replaced with a mulching mower.  They still have a bagging feature but I don't see why anyone would use it.  The bag for my Toro is brand new - never used it.  

John
(05-23-2018, 12:05 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Get a good mulching mower and you won't have to bag.  The new mulchers, including my Toro, leave no visible clippings on the lawn as long as you don't let it grow more than a couple of inches between mowings.  When/if our old Honda dies it will get replaced with a mulching mower.  They still have a bagging feature but I don't see why anyone would use it.  The bag for my Toro is brand new - never used it.  

John

I agree.  I remember when rotary mowers left tracks of cuttings and clumps of grass.  But my Honda left a fine mulch and I never felt compelled to bag.  Though in the fall, the bag was an effective way to clean up the fallen leaves.
I just got a Husqvarna LC 221RH self-propelled walk behind mower to mow my roughly 1/2 acre lot. I've only used it twice, but can't think of anything to complain about. It has a Honda motor, variable speed self-propelled, and is probably the smoothest lawn mower I've ever used.
(05-23-2018, 08:04 PM)page2171 Wrote: I just got a Husqvarna LC 221RH self-propelled walk behind mower to mow my roughly 1/2 acre lot. I've only used it twice, but can't think of anything to complain about. It has a Honda motor, variable speed self-propelled, and is probably the smoothest lawn mower I've ever used.

A funny thing about Husqvarna.  The company became famous for its motorcycle engines and their chain saw engines.  But none of their other products use their own engines.  Why is that?
There probably all going to be about the same. Briggs engine, a blade that goes around and self propelled is self propelled.

I hang out at CL for deals from folks going TDY or the like and get the best price and they seem to take care of the mower well. Nothing over 2 years old.

I have the Toro 21" self propelled, mulcher with a bag. I mulch most of the time and use the bag to get leaves and debris cleanup after cutting bushes, edging, weed eating and the like. I use the lawn tractor for most of the yard, but I needed something for the small areas.

Like mentioned, I like the FWD so I can keep the propelling going while I lift the front end for turning and backing.
I bought a Murray 20" walk behind mower on sale at a year end deal 35 years ago. 1983, to be exact.
5 HP B & S engine, no power anything. I paid $79 for it.
It's still going strong after all these years. It still starts on the 3rd pull at most.
I've gone thru a dozen blades in that time. I can still walk in most any hardware store & find a new one for $15- $20.

No rust, wheels are a bit wobbly though. It shows no signs of giving up either.
I bet you anything on the market today can't hold up like this old POS.

Big Grin
The first mower I every bought was a Murray, 22" I think.  I killed it in 6 or 7 years.  Along the way I had to replace most of the wheels.  The rotted out deck is what killed it but the tired engine wasn't going to last much longer.  I guess your success story points out how different each owner's conditions, usage, and maintenance can be.  

I followed that with a John Deere.  Self propelled, direct RWD.  I killed that in less than 10 years.  Then I got the hydrostatic drive Honda.  20+ years later it's still running well.  If you want self propelled and your lawn is at all bumpy or rough I highly recommend a belt, hydrostatic, or otherwise decoupled drive.    

John
(05-24-2018, 09:48 AM)Herb G Wrote: I bought a Murray 20" walk behind mower on sale at a year end deal 35 years ago. 1983, to be exact.
5 HP B & S engine, no power anything. I paid $79 for it.
It's still going strong after all these years. It still starts on the 3rd pull at most.
I've gone thru a dozen blades in that time. I can still walk in most any hardware store & find a new one for $15- $20.

No rust, wheels are a bit wobbly though. It shows no signs of giving up either.
I bet you anything on the market today can't hold up like this old POS.

Big Grin

Just like me- 35 years ago I was cheaper and less wobbly and didn't need help propelling. Not sure about the rust thing though.

With the self propelling walk behind, I can mow the entire yard in the back (About 140 x 100). I tried pushing it without using it and lasted only 8 minutes.