Need ideas for portable workbench top/saw table
When we moved overseas I brought my Dewalt track saw with me as well as 2 plastic sawhorses and 1 B&D Workmate.  I can only work on our balcony and I like to put everything away at the end of the day because my neighbors above sometimes water their plants or hose down their balconies and get mine wet--our balconies are terraced--or we might get rain.  I would love to store it in my home office when not in use rather than taking it back down to our basement storage locker 12 floors below.

So I'm looking for ideas for a really portable workbench top that can double as something like an MFT for the track saw--hopefully something a step above a plywood sheet.  I'm still trying to locate a place that sells plywood or MDF over here and I'm thinking to make something like a small Ron Paulk table that's maybe 4x4.  Even that Paulk table is kind of bulky and I'm definitely not interested in something like one of those complicated mobile benches that look like wooden Transformers.  I could only manage to bring an old B&D Quick Vise with me but I'm thinking that will be used with the Workmate rather than mounted on this benchtop.  I also brought some T-track with me and some toggle clamps so I can still secure pieces in the middle of the table.

The sawhorses afford me the option of a larger top (maybe a torsion box?) but the Workmate is much more solid.

Anyway, I would love to see what you guys have done for *small* benchtops with probably a sacrificial top for the track saw.  I also brought a modest assortment of handtools that will be used on this benchtop, too.

Thanks,
Paul
Wink 
What ever you decide on, add two in-line skate wheels at both ends of the top and cut out a "handle".  You can then roll it down the hall and onto the elevator (12 floors, I would assume there is an elevator).  Or make a dolly to roll it on.

The MFT table top is $156.00 from Amazon.com (though I don't know where you would order it from).  It measures about 28" by 44".
[Image: 31LPNHoiteL.jpg]

Festool's Systainer system is pricey but would be ideal for an apartment.  This one is $84.00 and provides storage plus small table top.

[Image: 418umiqkTyL.jpg]

Four of the Systainers would make an adequate work surface but I am unsure of how to join them.   The milled corners almost certainly have some joiners for that purpose.  They also make rolling versions for the Systainer system.  It would allow you to transport your tools and function as a work top all in one.  And when you are back in the States it is a really nifty storage system. 

The balcony almost certainly has railing.  Perhaps you can use the railing for support on one end and only need one saw horse.  

Or perhaps you should take up knitting.  It does not require all this heavy equipment.  
Smile
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
You can search on google for reading lots of portable table saw. you can use it easily and at the end of the day you can bend with all the tools and just keep it any where in your home. according its size also very much portable and movable. RYOBI table saw, Craftman evolve portable saw like this lots of table saw available in the market.
(05-23-2018, 09:49 AM)Kettmerie Wrote: You can search on google for reading lots of portable table saw. you can use it easily and at the end of the day you can bend with all the tools and just keep it any where in your home. according its size also very much portable and movable. RYOBI table saw, Craftman evolve portable saw like this lots of table saw available in the market.

I just tried it, and with a track saw, and a good doweling jig you can easily make cabinet boxes.  A router with a table top will allow you to build doors.  I think with some thought that the track saw and a router will suffice for most of the wood working that I do.  (But note that I am not giving up my table saw or my radial arm saw.)

I don't know what kind of work Paul is planning on, but there are workarounds with track saw and a router and a dowel jig and a pocket hole jig that will allow for most types of joints.  

I use a dovetail jig for drawers, but a rabbet joint with dowels is certainly strong enough for most situations.

[Image: reinforced_rabbet.jpg]

No dadoes on these cabinets:
[Image: dowelandglue.jpg]

I could make shaker cabinet doors using doweled assembly and by cutting the panel groove with  a slotting cutter during the dry-fit stage.  I would either clean up the corners with a chisel or clip the corners off the panels to fit.  

In any case I think that the track saw is a viable alternative to the table saw (with some adjustments in assembly of the work)
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.