Tennessee Shop Update
Original shop tour video here...

Quick shop tour

Making some progress.  I have one working 240V outlet for the table saw.  Just stuck it under the electric panel for now.  It will probably be the dust collector circuit in the future.  I had to wire it twice.  I cut the wire to reach the breaker and forgot the ground buss required more length.  Grr.  

I have cabinets on the finished walls.  The cabinets are from my old shop.  I installed a french cleat at 8 ft. on the finished walls.  I'll probably lower it to 7 ft in the future.  On the partition wall, I installed wall brackets for lumber storage.  The 10 ft ceiling keeps everything out of the way.  Not pictures to the right of the lumber and the door is another vertical shelf.  

I now have one usable horizontal surface.  Yea!  Its full of crap now.  That didn't take long.  
Smile  The goal for the next couple of days is to get a few more boxes off the floor and define a space for the workbench.  This will be my first shop where I can have a workbench in the middle of the floor.  

I still need to decide on a wall cladding. Need to do that soon. Then I can build out the electrical and start hanging walls.

Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Yowzers.

Two electrical panels.

And yet you still had to add a 240V outlet?

What all are those panels running?

(The light hurts up here.  Imma gonna go back to The Basement where I belong.)
Every room is on its own circuit, maybe two, lighting and outlets. Still working that out. I have a 350 amp meter, so I assume I have 350 amp service. Don't know if that is a thing. Everything is 20 amp minimum except some special circuits like smoke detectors. The HVAC has 3 heavy circuits plus a single purpose maintenance circuit. All appliances are on their own circuit. This is an all electric house.

There is a 50 amp circuit as well. I assume for a welder (which I'll now have to buy).
Smile

I have to decide if I want to run some shop wiring in conduit. If so, I need to decide how to get from a flush panel to surface mount conduit in an elegant way. In my old shop, I added a 100 amp surface mount panel for that. For this shop, since I have so much free panel space, it would seem redundant.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Great new digs, Mike!
Yes

Planning a new shop is almost more fun that actually working in it....
Winkgrin

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
(05-23-2018, 08:50 AM)Mr_Mike Wrote: Every room is on its own circuit, maybe two, lighting and outlets.  Still working that out.  I have a 350 amp meter, so I assume I have 350 amp service.  Don't know if that is a thing.  Everything is 20 amp minimum except some special circuits like smoke detectors.  The HVAC has 3 heavy circuits plus a single purpose maintenance circuit.  All appliances are on their own circuit.  This is an all electric house.  

There is a 50 amp circuit as well.  I assume for a welder (which I'll now have to buy).  
Smile

I have to decide if I want to run some shop wiring in conduit.  If so, I need to decide how to get from a flush panel to surface mount conduit in an elegant way.  In my old shop, I added a 100 amp surface mount panel for that.  For this shop, since I have so much free panel space, it would seem redundant.

Were those two walls already finished with drywall and OSB respectively, or did you install it yourself?

Doug
It looks like you found help to unload stuff, and congrats! Looking good. Wow, 350 amps.....I'd love to have that.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(05-23-2018, 11:49 PM)Tapper Wrote: Were those two walls already finished with drywall and OSB respectively, or did you install it yourself?

Doug

The drywalled wall is common to the house, thus, its fire rated drywall from the original construction.

The OSB wall is a partition wall segregating off about 12 feet of space. It appears it was historically a exercise room but it is not heated or cooled. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep that room or not. The wall is not structural. The wife might get it as a craft room if I condition the space.

(05-24-2018, 05:36 AM)fredhargis Wrote: It looks like you found help to unload stuff, and congrats! Looking good. Wow, 350 amps.....I'd love to have that.

Unloading wasn't near as difficult as I thought. Skizzo came by and helped. Otherwise, it was just myself and the son-in-law.

I have no idea what the service is rated at as I haven't looked at the wiring. It appears I dual main panels. So, I think I have a dual lug meter base. I don't even know if I have a breaker on the outside of the house.

Where in TN are you located? I'm near Christiana in between Murfreesboro and Shelbyville.
(05-24-2018, 02:56 PM)dg152 Wrote: Where in TN are you located?  I'm near Christiana in between Murfreesboro and Shelbyville.

Near Athens.

New question: I'm pretty set on paneling the unfinished walls in Ply-bead. Should I leave it natural or paint it. If painted. Bright white, or some other color like light grey.