shop clean up strategies??
I completely agree with those who say to have a place for everything. I finally got the message and my shop went from this:

[Image: 28462258688_5d68a4b16f_z.jpg]DSCN0527Medium by Hank Knight, on Flickr

To this:

[Image: 40101447864_d80cfe9145_c.jpg]IMG_0561 by Hank Knight, on Flickr

And from this:

[Image: 42287563572_dca2bac52d_c.jpg]IMG_0203 by Hank Knight, on Flickr

To this:

[Image: 42287621132_a17c475444_c.jpg]IMG_0418 by Hank Knight, on Flickr

[Image: 42287683132_933cd998ce_c.jpg]IMG_0419 by Hank Knight, on Flickr

I try to put things away all the time, but I'm not very good at it. When I get involved on a project, things can get pretty cluttered; but at some point, to save my sanity, I have to stop and put things away. At least when that happens, I have a place to put everything. Before I built all the storage, I just shoved stuff in any convenient space. Not only did this make for a harem-scarem workshop, I lost tools for months because I couldn't remember where I'd put them. Now I know where everything is and I can find it. It has been time and $$$ well spent.
I haven't figured it out at yet, and at 70 I doubt I ever will.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I feel like I have it figured out, that doesn't mean I'll ever get there.  As a number of posters have said, there has to be a place for everything or the things that don't have a place will be in the way.  Just ordered some plywood for a cabinet under my bench and a cabinet under my tablesaw.  So probably the plywood will be in the way for a while.
How about an old but comfortable shop that looks cluttered even when it's cleaned?

I always clean up before I leave the shop for the day. I put stuff away while I work. I know where everything is, but that took years.

I don't like most stuff in drawers- want it quick and handy.

[Image: Dac7XfC.jpg]
[Image: NwZlzX3.jpg]
[Image: 52oLis9.jpg]
Gabe,

I also have a basement shop and drawers are your friend.

[Image: IMG_1848.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1850.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1854.jpg]

The drawers and cabinets keep all the things off your tools so you can use them and be productive.

[Image: IMG_1836.jpg]

And if you find something in your shop you are not using, get rid of it!

Hope that helps!
John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
Well. My shop isn't all shiny and spotless, but it's neatly organized for the most part.
I do tend to keep things picked up and tools put away.
I'd have a stroke if I came in and there was boards and crap leaned up against machinery and stuff laying about on the floor.

You have to have an **interest** in your shop, and be entertained by being in your shop.
Whether it's working in it, cleaning, building shelves to put tools on, it's the **interest** that makes your shop clean and organized.

If you don't have that **interest**, then well......good luck with keeping a tidy shop
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Something that's worked for me the last couple of years....it sounds silly...

Whenever I need to move/change position in the shop, I pick ONE thing up and put it away. Only takes a few extra seconds but the mess doesn't seem pile up nearly as high.
I kinda agree with Stwood.  I enjoy being in the shop. I enjoy being organized.  But I do not enjoy cleaning so my shop is never "picture clean" especially after I've spent a few days at the lathe.

The simple rule that everything should have a place is key for me.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(05-25-2018, 01:14 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: I kinda agree with Stwood.  I enjoy being in the shop. I enjoy being organized.  But I do not enjoy cleaning so my shop is never "picture clean" especially after I've spent a few days at the lathe.

The simple rule that everything should have a place is key for me.
That is why my shop looks like that in the pics, I cleaned it for the photo shoot I would hate for anyone to see it right now 
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
Agree you can over do it with cleaning vs using. Great pics and ideas. I'm just shooting for the right balance of working-shop without working-around-the-shop-mess. I can also say from a life point of view, I know it will get better when I have more time. I'm in grad school and tend to be less focused on cleaning and more using the shop for a quick project that leaves a mess "I'll get to later".

On a more personal note (and self reflection), our young dog bit my 11 year old son in mouth Monday night completely unprovoked. He needed 25 stitches and I had to put her down at animal control Tues morning. Hardest thing I've ever watched. This last week went off the rails.  I realized I'm motivated to clean and organize my shop as a means of controlling something "out-of-control" in my life that I can control. Sorry for the overshare but it is related.