shop clean up strategies??
I’m prone to some shop clutter as well.

One big help is gradually building defined storage for key items. This is pretty satisfying and is a big, practical help. I don’t have all my storage well-definedo—Especially when I feel like that part of the shop isn’t yet settled

The other thing that helps is periodically doing some cleanup. This feels good and scratches that shop time itch when I don’t have enough time to get something more substantial done. The big challenge necessitating the cleanup is the shared-use nature of the garage/shop and not spending enough time in the shop. It is very easy for stuff to get set down in the garage as a temporary step and not get resolved until I do some deliberate cleanup.

It is also helpful to balance your accumulation with your storage tiers (e.g., don’t keep a might-use-again someday tool in valuable real-estate. Either find a more remote storage spot, if available, or rehome it)
I put 5 gallon plastic buckets around the shop, especially at the band saws to throw the small pieces away while I'm working/cutting- made a big difference in the little clutter.
If I'm done with a tool, I clean it and put it back. This may seem like a time waster, but at the end of the day, what a difference.

A shop is like a house. The lived in look is ok, but there is a difference between lived in and cluttered and dirty. I've seen homes that were worse than your shop.
Winkgrin
My tip that has help greatly in my shop is the follow on to "everything has a place"  and that is to always put 3 things away every time I leave the shop... even if its a quick trip in and out.

It is surprisingly effective in training you to put them away when you use them.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I don't have a solution, because mine is terrible, but I know the cause, and I suspect that's a good place to start.

Limited time.

I have a wife and almost 4 year old I like spending time with, or have to do stuff for. So I'm constantly just "running something out to the garage" that I got at lunch or whatever. Or dropping what I'm doing at whatever stage because nap time is over.

Really that's mostly an excuse but it has gotten way worse since Jack was born!
Benny

I'm a bit of a neat freak with shop time scarce and when I have it don't want to waste it looking for something.

For the longest time I'd alternate a regular project with a shop storage or improvement project. I like building stuff for the shop so it helps with the mindset.

I usually put thought into how and where I use tools so build storage around that idea.

Regarding multiple projects I don't do that. Otherwise I end up with both done. I'm pretty diligent about finishing what I started before moving on to my next thing. It's not 100% of the time and other stuff pops up, but never two large projects happen at once.

I limit the hand held power tools. I have two cordless drills, don't need five of them. A plunge router, a fixed base in the router table and a Bosch Colt is the router collection. No need for more.

One book to thumb through is "Setting Up Shop" by Sandor Nagalyzynsky (or however it's spelled). Was a good source of inspiration for me.

The old Shop Notes magazines had loads of ideas. Some over the top a bit but inspiring nonetheless.

I'm married to a full time artist- not people known for being neat. The shop is my refuge for orderliness the way I want it.

Good luck and hope you get what you want.

Mike
(05-24-2018, 08:42 PM)smithgl12 Wrote: Thanks for all the great tips and commiseration. Keep it coming.  I knew I was not alone here. I found a few hrs today to get the table saw and workbench clear. Felt good. Decided to finish the workbench last steps. Dogholes in the top and last box to fill the split tops. Chipping away. Love the 5S mind set if I can stick with it. “One thing at a time” is good advice too. My favorite advice is the getting my wife to do it but sounds like that can be dangerous
Smile

Hi Gabe

Nice shop.  I didn't read through the entire thread so maybe this is redundant.  You need a lot more cabinets preferably with drawers than what I see in the picture.  Why not finish off the wall with the lumber rack and put a row of cabinets below?  Hard to keep things put away if there is inadequate storage which I would guess is your case.  You have a lot of floor space.  How about a couple torsion box-topped tables with storage below.  I built a couple 2' X 8' boxes that I use on saw horses for assembly tables on a temporary basis and a 48" X 7' torsion box outfeed table for the TS with storage drawers and cabinets below.  I keep my sprayer and finish materials there.  I don't remember which method I used for the torsion top but there are many on the internet.  Glad you are still woodworking.  Ken
What are your systems to stay on task? Also to buy what you need. Lists, whiteboard, electronic/app solutions?

I agree with those that have said lack of time is an issue. Two kids and a wife who plans “our” time doesn’t help the shop organization. Any advice. This is why I need to become more efficient too.
thanks Ken. Yes still at it when I can. Good idea on cabinets. Yes finishing the walls and better utilizing them is planned. Time and funds awaiting. Maybe I just need to start it though. I may have talked myself into it this summer.

BTW. Your table saw is gone but still running (to a good home with a friend) but your dust collector is still running strong in my shop. Hope all is well. Are you up north again yet?
(05-25-2018, 08:18 PM)smithgl12 Wrote: thanks Ken. Yes still at it when I can. Good idea on cabinets. Yes finishing the walls and better utilizing them is planned. Time and funds awaiting. Maybe I just need to start it though. I may have talked myself into it this summer.

BTW.  Your table saw is gone but still running (to a good home with a friend) but your dust collector is still running strong in my shop. Hope all is well. Are you up north again yet?

Yes, I noticed it and the upgrade you made with the canister.  Those Grizzle's just keep going.  Nice to hear the old Delta saw which must be well over 50 years old, is still working and has a nice home.  I bought it in the early 70s from a cabinet shop with the attached 6" jointer in the early 70s and it was probably 15 years old then. 

We are back in Lewiston, NY.  We go to Florida for a few weeks in the fall and then again in early January.  I miss my shop when down there but also get my fill of UF Gators sports.  The summer is great up here on the Northern Frontier and I have great woodworking buddies so life is good.  Ken
(05-24-2018, 03:05 PM)Cecil Wrote: 5S

It is a common methodology in business.

Google it.  Here is a Wiki article about it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5S_(methodology)

Once you have sorted, and set in order, be sure to take a picture.

One main task in 5S is to maintain.  Daily walk through the shop and put stuff away.

I do not 5S at my home workshop, though weekly I walk through and put most, but not all stuff away.

This is the correct answer.

I learned this years ago, and took years to get it right. Being in my 500 sq ft shop 5 days a week and to pump out the amount of work I do, it needs to be #1 organized, #2 clean, and #3 well thought out 

One big rule I had to learn is that is the layers.....if something isnt used daily, it shouldn't be out, if its not used weekly, it shouldn't be in a drawer at arms reach, and if its not used monthly, it likely shouldn't be in the shop, if I haven't used it in the past year, why do I have it at all. 

When you look at things in those terms, its easy to purge, and relocate things that you "need" and things you hoard. 

Ive been going through a big exercise recently in clearing out lumber I need, but dont need in the shop. Its a long story but I got a second storage unit, just for lumber. Ive gained close to 40 sqft....and while that seems insignificant, its a 12% gain of space, where I can have a bench for a chopsaw to quickly break down boards, where now I use a cir saw. Should make me more efficient and save me 15 minutes a week....or 13 hours a year. 

Granted how I look at stuff is vastly different from a guy that works 4-5 times a month but I know just about everyone keeps piles of scraps they think they will use someday that take up valuable space, and more important causes clutter to breed.....

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)