shop clean up strategies??
(06-08-2018, 08:17 AM)EricU Wrote: I don't think you are going to get rid of a twist.  Can it be cut into shorter or narrower boards that are usable?  If not, firewood.

We do need to remind ourselves from time to time, that
the material we use in our shops.....really does grow on trees...

Big Grin
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I find that for me and the way I work that a mid project clean up helps to keep me excited about working on the project.  (Just completed one during the Farm Table Build that I am currently working on.)  I do not like tripping over things and having to move things around to work on something.  I LOVE a clean and organized shop.  Which seems to be criticized heavily on this forum.  

I hesitate to post pics of the shop because inevitably SOMONE will say "Well, my shop is not a museum I work in my shop!"   or words to that effect.    I had a shop teacher back in Jr. High School that was a stickler for a clean and organized shop.  He stated that it helped to increase your SAFTEY and productivity.  

A clean and organized shop before during and after a project help to keep me motivated to turn out better projects.

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
John, anyone can make a mess, in fact, I find it the easiest thing in the world. I would love to see pictures of a shop that could pass as a museum.
(06-08-2018, 12:10 PM)EricU Wrote: John, anyone can make a mess, in fact, I find it the easiest thing in the world. I would love to see pictures of a shop that could pass as a museum.

Mine and others on here have had their shops called:

Labs
Tool Museums 
Show Rooms
Mine was one time noted to be as clean as an operating room 
Rolleyes

The favorite line I have been asked is: Do you actually do any woodworking in there?

I have been on here a long time so I have heard it 
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

I am sure it is all in fun or tongue in cheek.

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
I inserted a new link; does the second one resolve?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Yea.................
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPu...ZvemVQbmVB
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(06-09-2018, 06:33 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Yea.................
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPu...ZvemVQbmVB

Thanks for sharing.
Took me a while to spot the table saw, masquerading as assembly table.
But then, I was looking past it to the drill press.

What do you do with the drill press station?  (seemed like the table was pretty low, and what is the jig hanging off the left side?)

I'm also curious if you normally use the jointer and bandsaw in their current positions, or if things normally get moved around?

And what are you keeping in the filing cabinets?

Matt
The table saw gets covered with plywood when not in use because Florida humidity == rust and wood absorbs moisture before cast iron—prevents rust.
The band saw needs some TLC and is in a temporary location.
The drill press has a multi-functional jig sitting on its cast iron table—it has a moveable fence and hold-downs. It’s a bit low but not too bad for me.
The jointer is fine there for 4’ and shorter boards.
If necessary, it rolls into the aisle and rotates 90 degrees.
The filing cabinets contain turning tools, jigs, smaller power tools such as circular saw, sanders, dovetail jigs, biscuit jointer, chisels, and lots of milled wood—there are drawers for turning blocks, pen blanks, cherry and walnut offcuts, and of course stuff I still need to go through and clean up.
It’s still a work in progress.
Back wall needs a lot of stock organization and each filing cabinet needs inspection and organizing and purging as appropriate.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
So Ken, I’m taking your advice to get stuff on my walls. To do that I need to finish framing out the shop cause the insulation is useless. I have pile of 30 2x4 finally in the shop and ready to use. plus I can also utilize the extra PT 2x from the deck build for sil plates. something I’ve been meaning to do for a while but should open lots of other options for organizing. Thanks for the push.

Gary nice shop. I’ve been scrutinizing these pics you all have been sending for ideas.
And John. I checked out your belle city website. you set the standard for a well run, safe and neat shop. Any criticism is derived from pure jealousy.