Simple Inlay
Hey gang...quick question...I'd like to make a budded cross out of hard maple with an interior rectangular cross inlayed with blood wood.  Any tips or video links to the best process for creating what I assume will be simple custom inlay?

Something along this line...but minus the lettering...and excuse my horrible editing
Smile 

I'm thinking I would start with a blank of hard maple large enough for the whole cross...then use the router table to cut the inlay out.  Once the inlay is in and planed...I'd cut the final shape of the budded cross out of the blank.  I've just never had good luck ending up with a nice, tight fitting inlay and hoped maybe my process just isn't the best.
I don't do this type of work, but here is a decent video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e25vWzgRtVQ

You might even consider a poured resin inlay.  I've seen them and some can be rather striking.

Here's a table with a resin inlay:

[Image: 344810427d7a6c6527287409d886bc6d.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I have done a fair amount of inlay work, though most of it string inlay.  First, I think your approach makes sense.  To get a tight fitting inlay from side to side, you want to have a shallow angle on the mortise or slot that you are going to inlay to, and a shallow angle on the piece to be inlayed.  So long as the depth is deep enough, as you tap the inlay into place, it will wedge against both side walls, and you will get a nice fit.  Once the glue dries, plane down the inlay to flush.   The second tip is to be careful with stains, dyes and finishes.  If you stain the field, but not the inlay, then apply a finish with a similar solvent, the stain will bleed onto the inlay. So if you are using stain, make sure you seal it with a finish that won't dissolve it, such a putting a shellac coat on it.
Several years ago here, MsNomer (Carolyn Smith) posted an excellent inlay tutorial. With her permission I made it into a document. It was way too good to fall in the bit bucket.

It's available as a PDF from my storage bin of on-line stuff.

http://www.employees.org/~bstewart/pix/I...torial.pdf
Phydeaux
WOW!!

Thanks Phydeaux!

Inlay is something I have not attempted. This tutorial is very inspiring.
Downloaded and filed for future action.

Thanks to Carolyn for the wonderfully clear write up and to you (again)
for posting it!!
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Caroline is quite the impressive woodworker. Talented, creative, and practical.
Phydeaux
Here I inlaid a starfish of solid Birdseye maple into a table topped with 1/8" teak ply over 3/4" Baltic birch edge banded with solid teak. Table is ~24" x 48".

[Image: cstar-table-1.jpg]
Wood is good. 
(05-25-2018, 10:03 AM)Phydeaux Wrote: Several years ago here, MsNomer (Carolyn Smith) posted an excellent inlay tutorial. With her permission I made it into a document. It was way too good to fall in the bit bucket.

It's available as a PDF from my storage bin of on-line stuff.

http://www.employees.org/~bstewart/pix/I...torial.pdf

Thanks!
(05-26-2018, 01:30 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: Here I inlaid a starfish of solid Birdseye maple into a table topped with 1/8" teak ply over 3/4" Baltic birch edge banded with solid teak. Table is ~24" x 48".

Looks great...what was your process?
(05-26-2018, 11:46 PM)brnhornt Wrote: Looks great...what was your process?

Thank you.

I sawed the inlay out on the scroll saw, fine tuning it with various small files, sanding sticks, etc. Then glued it all up at once using WEST epoxy. Then added the edge banding.
Wood is good.