Cutting Carbon Fiber
Hello Woodnet Braintrust -

I have a need to cut some carbon fiber tubing.  I was gonna make a jig and use a hacksaw, but is there any reason to hesitate just doing this on the bandsaw?
The only carbon fiber I have cut is arrow shafts. I have a saw with a abrasive blade that sticks out just enough to cut the wall thickness. I rotate the shaft until the shaft is cut in two. Using a band saw I think a very fine tooth blade might work. Be very careful of the end of the shaft as the splinters are sharp and next to impossible to see to remove.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(05-24-2018, 04:46 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: The only carbon fiber I have cut is arrow shafts. I have a saw with a abrasive blade that sticks out just enough to cut the wall thickness. I rotate the shaft until the shaft is cut in two. Using a band saw I think a very fine tooth blade might work. Be very careful of the end of the shaft as the splinters are sharp and next to impossible to see to remove.

Thanks for that.   I know what you speak of, since I have had my arrows cut at the archery shop at Cabela's.
I once made a block of wood with a drilled hole in it to accept the tubing snugly, then cut it on the bandsaw using a fine toothed metal blade. I cut through the wood about a 1/4". The problem was if I needed an exact length.