Finished restoring my vise
Now on to my bench! 

So here's the old thread I started asking about taking it apart, some cool rusty pics in there.
https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7338604

And I'll start with a before and after:

[Image: jzMJQId_RScFbmpdf-dPkJiFJ0fn0vNjLrMCDMPK...bM=s901-no]

I soaked small parts in evaporust. That stuff is pretty magical. I tried soaking the larger parts in vinegar. It helped but it's not as effective. I still spent a fair amount of time with wire wheels, because the vinegar soaked stuff will flash rust quickly, and the other parts need the black stuff cleaned off. And my sand blasting gun didn't work well... I think I need harsher media than walnut shell. 

Made a wooden handle to replace the steel pipe one.  I used a 1/2" pipe threading die on the ends, it basically just tapered it...

[Image: wvVsHagEtJtbitSmNpqX2SpUqDi8skezu2ZQ-VQI...76-h902-no]

Most of the parts... After soaking and cleaning the lead screw, I doused it in WD40 overnight then teflon spray before assembly.

[Image: hSoRELwEzm03ZzCTrFXzdGtWNfyz_bCoqn1V71t5...31-h528-no]

Primed with rusty metal primer

[Image: XiERj_cQa74_TInqM0KVhAxbolGDeY33paN2IqlL...76-h902-no]

Fresh out of evaporust

[Image: 8uD7v_yV042B6epOpF301bodF6uvKzhG4G6svVzp...76-h902-no]

Closeup of the machined lead screw.

[Image: mFnCCU3B66LWFiAuUN7xDK6Te-ZZ2bD8jZEsyUmf...76-h902-no]

That's all for now. Any questions class?

Thanks for looking! Hope the photos worked...
Benny

Here's my screw soaking rig :
Smile

[Image: -AOYg4tH9JCNvklaNgDzEmRwW2u5zEfGeska-z1m...76-h902-no]
Benny

(05-25-2018, 03:40 PM)bennybmn Wrote: And my sand blasting gun didn't work well... I think I need harsher media than walnut shell. 

If you want a fine sand try #5 sand or sugar sand. Removes the light to moderate rust and may even leave the material smoother.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
I use "Black Diamond" from Tractor supply for blasting. Very happy with it.

I'd like to see how they machined that screw.

It looks naked without the rust.  Was good to cover it with paint.  
Laugh
(05-26-2018, 09:13 AM)daddo Wrote: I use "Black Diamond" from Tractor supply for blasting. Very happy with it.

Laugh

Black Diamond is a pretty good general purpose media IMO. Leaves an acceptable profile for coatings. Sugar sand is better for smoothly machined surfaces as it doesn't destroy the surface finish, it may in fact improve it.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
Very nice job on the vise refurbishment! A quick suggestion on the handle - if you have a couple of 0-rings to slip over each end of the handle (snug fit) it will soften blow each time the handle travels end-to-end in the housing.

Doug
Funny you mention the orings, I brought some home Friday to try out for size!

Yeah I bet machining that screw was a scary experience lol. Hopefully they started with a fairly soft steel and hardened it later.

I chose walnut media because I don’t have a cabinet and I don’t mind walnut shells on my driveway (of which I have lots now). I think I’ll find a big box of something and at least mainly contain it and try the black diamond. I’m also going to try a smaller nozzle.
Benny

(05-26-2018, 09:13 AM)daddo Wrote: I use "Black Diamond" from Tractor supply for blasting. Very happy with it.

Laugh

"I'd like to see how they machined that screw. "

Me too!!!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Piece of cake. Cut the thread on a lathe or threading machine, move to mill and cut the relief using a cutter with concave radius to match the root diameter of the thread. There could be other ways to skin that cat.

Me -> 45 years in machine shops.

Nice lookin vise...
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020