Powermatic jointer
Any advice on a fair price range for a used Powermatic PJ882?  I believe it is 10 years old but in very good condition - hardly used I'm told.  The pictures I was sent make it look like it is brand new.  It has the mobile base also.  It is a few hours drive from where I am so I thought I would get a rough idea of the price to make sure it is in my range before I decide to go and see it.

Thanks in advance.
You can observe a lot just by watching. YB
$800 - $1000, depending on region.
(05-26-2018, 05:56 PM)Woodchukker Wrote: Any advice on a fair price range for a used Powermatic PJ882?  I believe it is 10 years old but in very good condition - hardly used I'm told.  The pictures I was sent make it look like it is brand new.  It has the mobile base also.  It is a few hours drive from where I am so I thought I would get a rough idea of the price to make sure it is in my range before I decide to go and see it.

Thanks in advance.

New that machine looks to be about 2200, so half would be around 1100.  That is the usual starting point for used machinery, but you have to factor in condition and availability.  If it is in mint condition, the seller may want more and may get it.  Just depends on what the local market is and how fast he wants to sell it.  Good luck.
(05-26-2018, 05:56 PM)Woodchukker Wrote: Any advice on a fair price range for a used Powermatic PJ882?  I believe it is 10 years old but in very good condition - hardly used I'm told.  The pictures I was sent make it look like it is brand new.  It has the mobile base also.  It is a few hours drive from where I am so I thought I would get a rough idea of the price to make sure it is in my range before I decide to go and see it.

Thanks in advance.

Don't know much about PM jointers but ~$1,100 seems way too high to me for a jointer that is 10 years old. One of its competitors, this Grizzly is owned by many on this forum. A quick look at the specs reveals that the Griz has a 3 HP motor (compared to 2 HP for the PM), has a 4 knife cutterhead as compared to 3 for the PM and a built-in caster set. (important if space is tight) If you could stretch your budget and spring for the carbide cutterhead, all the better.

I own the Shopfox 8" jointer with carbide cutterhead and also the Shopfox 15" planer, also with a carbide cutterhead. After having begun woodworking like many others, with smaller machines with straight knife heads, there is no comparison. From a price/performance perspective it's difficult to beat Grizzly products in my experience.

Good luck with whatever you decide,

Doug
1200 would be a pretty reasonable price around here.  Anything less than that would sell pretty quickly.  
But again, entirely depends on your market.  Out in parts of Cali you could get it for $400 or less... in remote areas of the north you'd be looking around 6-700.  Highly populated metro, 1200+.
I will chime in with my view that "half of new is the usual starting point" is just silly and over simplified.  There are so many variables.
1) Condition?
2) How often do you see similar machines for sale in your area?
3) How much is that brand new tool smell worth to you?
4) How active is the used too market in your area?

Could be a 20 year old machine from a commercial shop that was run hard or it could be a 5 year old machine from a hobbiest that was run maybe 100 hours.  Say it's the latter, why would you decide it was only worth $1100?  Would you go out and pay $2200 for the new one rather than $1200 or $1500 for the used one?  Only you can decide how much more it's worth to buy new.  Remember you usually have sales tax on new too.  So that $2200 machine becomes $2420.
(05-27-2018, 06:01 PM)AAZ Engineer Wrote: I will chime in with my view that "half of new is the usual starting point" is just silly and over simplified.  There are so many variables.
1) Condition?
2) How often do you see similar machines for sale in your area?
3) How much is that brand new tool smell worth to you?
4) How active is the used too market in your area?

Could be a 20 year old machine from a commercial shop that was run hard or it could be a 5 year old machine from a hobbiest that was run maybe 100 hours.  Say it's the latter, why would you decide it was only worth $1100?  Would you go out and pay $2200 for the new one rather than $1200 or $1500 for the used one?  Only you can decide how much more it's worth to buy new.  Remember you usually have sales tax on new too.  So that $2200 machine becomes $2420.

[Image: tenor.png]

Thanks in advance.

BTW WC,

How much is the seller asking for this machine?

Doug
I decided to go ahead and make the drive to take a look at the machine. There were a couple of people involved on the other end and as a result I couldn’t nail down a price range before I went but I was assured it would be reasonable. When I got there I saw that the PJ 882 was truly in excellent condition. But they wanted an even $2000 for it firm. It did have a Shelix head but still. At that point I just left and drove home. Waste of time.
You can observe a lot just by watching. YB
(05-29-2018, 07:59 AM)Woodchukker Wrote: I decided to go ahead and make the drive to take a look at the machine. There were a couple of people involved on the other end and as a result I couldn’t nail down a price range before I went but I was assured it would be reasonable. When I got there I saw that the PJ 882 was truly in excellent condition. But they wanted an even $2000 for it firm.  It did have a Shelix head but still. At that point I just left and drove home. Waste of time.

Shelix head is very nice... 

I bet they sell it.

Certainly not a "good deal", but $1000 cheaper than a new one is nothing to sneeze at...