grizzly 0453 gearbox
(05-28-2018, 02:57 PM)woodydixon Wrote: Oakey,

I finally was able to resize a picture to attach to show what i am calling coplanar. The shaft 527 spins freely 523 with the 2 large gears does not. Could that indicate a bad bearing? The knob shaft 511 does not spin but i assume that is ok. The infeed and outfeed rollers spin but not as freely as 527. Bearings are tight. The fudge shaft appears straight. Hope this helps. Thanks for your assistance as this is very frustrating.

Woody, not familiar with your planer but I think the two large gears are aligned too tight together. Does one or both gears mount on a flat bar with a slot. This is called a banjo .
Usually a fastener, hex head or Allen head bolt holds the gear to the banjo. Loosen the large gear on the right, re-tighten after separating the gear mesh about the thickness of print paper doubled up. This would be about .008 which is usually correct for gear mesh. Try it and see if the gears mesh correctly now. I am guessing that this is a simple fix .

mike
Mike,

I dont think my gearbox is what you're describing. The double gear slides on one shaft by what you call a banjo but cant be put closer together. thanks for trying to help but I went ahead and sent it to a machine shop.

Mike and Oakey,

When I got the gearbox back today the new gears, shaft, detente and bearings were installed.. Unfortunately the large gear, which is meshed with the gear nearest the outside cover, will now not move on the shaft, either by hand or with the shifter. I cant see anything stopping it from moving. Does this mean the detente was improperly installed and is hanging the gear up? The nightmare continues. I cant take it back to the shop until friday so now it looks like next week before this is fixed, if then.

Woody
Woody
That gear has to slide can't imagine some one not making sure of that
is it totally back together ?
or is it still not put back in your planer?
That sliding gear is the only part that moves in there well other than rotate
If the gears are still shown as in your pictures is it possible for you to use a clamp and try to move it?
When the gears that move are in either speed or neutral they have a detent that is some what stiff if you are holding with one hand and trying with the other
I would think that a machine shop would know that the sliding gear has to slide using the shift knob if not what the heck was they thinking
That is that gear boxes total purpose almost impossible for anyone not to see that !
Sounds like they not only pressed the bearings but they pressed the sliding gear that gear just slips on
without the detent in place it would move with one weak finger off course it would not stay in gear
With the detent in it may be a bit stiff to move / shift unless it is all back together and you can firmly push or pull it
Oakey,

yes the gearbox has not been put back in the planer at this point. I kept at it and with some effort pushed the gear into neutral. When I did that the ball from the detente fell on the floor. The gear still is extremely difficult to move. Could the spring in the detente be jamming the gear? Also in the bag of parts they took out there is an O ring that I didn't buy. I am afraid this might be the external retaining ring that fits over the double gear shaft I replaced which seats against the bearing. If it is couldn't this cause an oil leak even with an oil seal on the other side of the bearing? I cannot believe how difficult this is. Thanks for your help.

Woody
Woody
That gear set that slides should be free on the shaft exept for the detent sounds like it is not
And I thought once the brgs were pressed on the detent ball can not get free this I am pretty sure of
I don't know if I have enough pieces to see if it can come free while asembled but ill look
I think you need to find some one close buy to look at it that is aware of how it works i think it is ovious were you took it does not under stand
Oakey,

The bearing was not pressed on the end of the shaft, another thing they failed to do. Looks like the bearing just fits over the smaller end of the shaft and the detente i thought was in the bigger main part so I'm not sure how it would get out anyway. Going to take it back to the shop tomorrow and hope they can fix their mistake. 

Woody
Oakey,

I got the gearbox back yesterday and it seems to be shifting ok. Today when I tried to reassemble everything I developed an oil leak so I am replacing the gasket with an rtv one. I did have a lot of trouble reattaching the chain spring tensioner however. To get it attached to the bottom piece that is screwed to the case I have to slightly tighten one bolt, tilt the piece up, attach the spiring, then push down hard with a screwdriver to get the piece even with both screw holes and tighten. This seems awfully tight to me but I could not pull the spring down and attach it once the bottom piece was screwed in tight. Am I doing this right?

Woodyu
Woody,
I just had mine apart  to replace the outfeed roller, used a small needle nose pliers to hook the spring to the mount. Check to see if the top loop of the idler pulley tension spring is connected correctly to the arm. If it's twisted or bound up it'll be difficult to hook to the bottom.

I've been following your journey, I sure hope you get this resolved soon. You're a patient man.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I may have figured it out. I was trying to reconnect while the top was already on the chain. I believe I need to hook it up off the chain and then pry the top part up and onto the chain after it is attached. Does that sound right? I thought I was patient but I may to rethink that soon if I cant get my planer up and runnning soon. Thanks

Woody[
That assumption was wrong. Still tight even not tensioned on the top chain. Do you hook the spring from the back or the front to the arm on top and piece on the bottom? I have about 1/2 inch to stretch the spring to connect and pliars keep slipping. This seems too tight but I didn't pay enough attention when I took it off in the first place.

Woody