grizzly 0453 gearbox
Here is a picture of the problem. Ii seems the arm is not extending low enough according to video I just watched of someone removing the spring. On that gearbox the end of the arm was about even with the bolt hole to the left. Mine is maybe a 1/4 inch above. The arm is not abe to be moved any lower so I am stumped at this point. Any ideas?

Woody

Attached Files Image(s)

I think the idler has to be on the chain before you connect the spring--there's not enough slop to put it in place after the fact. Check the top of the spring to be sure only the loop is connected to the idler arm and that one or more of the coils aren't caught on the arm.

Good luck,
g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
What an episode. Sorry to see your problems.
I think the 20" most likely has the same setup.
If your were close, we could take the cover off of mine and have a looksee.
I had the cover off right after getting mine, due to a grease leak.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

The loop only is attached at the idler arm. I looked again at a video of someone removing the chains and his arm seems closer to the bottom clip and his spring is not as tight https://youtu.be/nhU0h1A13sU . The part I am referring to is around 3;12 or so. I am stumped because I don't see any adjustments I can make and the spring is way too tight. In case the youtube reference doesnt work the video is titled "grizzly g0453z rubber roller and insert replacement".

woody
Finally gave up and put everything back together. Maybe I was overthinking some of this. Seems to cut ok and sounds right. I have it on high speed now and wonder if any of you have a preference. My low is 16fps and high 30fps. Finish is not bad on high. Thanks to everyone who helped with my mulitple problems.

Woody
Woody
will it shift to low ? try it running no wood in it of course if not ..
then try it shut off unplugged of course and turn the belt to align the gears if necessary
try and shift it real firm sooner or later you will want it in low if you plane lots of rough lumber
Stwood
the gear box is the same on the 15 and 20 only difference is the sliding gear and the gear set it slides into
when my planer went south i used a gear set from a 20 and converted my 15.. it changes the high speed feed rate slows it down
grizzly was temporarily out of the GO453 parts
GO453 is 15 and 30 FPM GO454 is 15 and 20 FPM
Oakey,

I thought you would use 30 fps if you were running alot of rough lumber. The faster the wood went through the planer the less finished the cut would be but you would save wear and  tear on the knives. In any event I'll try to shift to low tomorrow and see what the difference is. At least I'm up and running again.

Woody
I always run low on my 20. It's a better finish, plus it doesn't pull good on high when running wide, rough lumber through. Also has a tendency to bog down (3hp) in high, with the same rough lumber
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Same with me, always in low speed. Both the planer and me
Wink

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I use low speed almost always same reasons wide lumber bogs the motor ..and the fast speed bogs me