Hand saws
I have a couple of Henry Disston and Sons hand saws I am considering selling if they  are worth my time to box up. But I don't have a clue as to value and I am hoping to get some advise. One is a B23 and has 8 teeth per inch and the other is a D8  thumb hole, which has 5 1/2 teeth per inch.

The D8 is hard to see the etching in the photos but it is there.

Thank for the help in advance,

Tom
The "B" is actually a "D"...as in D-23...I have about 4 of them in the shop.   The D-8 is also know as a Thumbhole.   For using both hands on the handle (try it) while doing rip cuts. 

Both a very good saws....maybe look them up on EBay's completed sales listings for what they are selling for...
Cool
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Definitely worth selling, especially since it looks like the teeth are in good shape (i.e. none broken, missing, or poorly filed). You'll see a very wide range of prices online. It's always best to look at completed sales, not just asking-prices. Some of the asking prices I'm seeing are WAY over the top. Scroll through S&S, too. As you know, prices downstairs are usually much more in line with actual market values.

If I were selling them, I wouldn't take anything under $50 for the D-23. It's a nice saw and in good shape. The D8 is a fairly common saw, and the handle isn't the most comfortable. So probably more like $20.

But that's just my own opinion.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I sold a D-8 thumb-hole rip saw on the "Tool Swap & Sell" section of this forum back in February for $47.00 shipped. It was in about the same condition to yours, but it had been cleaned, and was sharp and ready to use.That should give you an idea of what yours might sell for.
On the D-23, I haven't sold one for a long time, so I can't give you a sold price. It's a good saw, but not as much in demand as the thumb-hole handled saws. If it were my saw, I'd price it at $25.00 or so.
Hope this helps.
Rick
Tom: the more work you put into them, the more they are worth. If you remove the handles, clean and polish the plate, clean up and wax the handles, theyk are worth more. Even more so when properly sharpened, but I don't know if you have developed that skill. There is a considerable amount of work to be done to a saw to put it back into shape for work. That's why you can pay from $80 to $120, or more, for ready to go saws.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(05-29-2018, 08:32 PM)Admiral Wrote: Tom:  the more work you put into them, the more they are worth.  If you remove the handles, clean and polish the plate, clean up and wax the handles, theyk are worth more.  Even more so when properly sharpened, but I don't know if you have developed that skill.  There is a considerable amount of work to be done to a saw to put it back into shape for work.  That's why you can pay from $80 to $120, or more, for ready to go saws.

I totally agree with the Admiral.  How much a saw is worth depends on many factors.  I used to sell lots of handsaws on eBay that I refurbished and got some really good prices... but, it would depend on who was looking at my saws at any particular point in time and how they felt a handsaw was valued to them. It was kind of dynamic in which other times a great saw that I had invested hours and hours would sell for far less than what it was actually worth. eBay in that sense is quite fickle.

The Disston D8, in my opinion is not very comfortable to use, especially for a left handed person.  The hand was designed specifically for a right hander.  They made a much better two handed handle on their large No.7 rip saw.  Probably the best handle for a large rip saw ever made.

The D23,s were very popular and were the highest selling saw they had and were made into the 80,s if I recall. But those younger saws were junk, but your saw is one of the earlier ones just before they downgraded them to the point that even a brand new one wouldn't cut wood.  It had to be refiled to them work right.

As to a selling price, I would not suggest one because I'd need to see it up close and personal.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
(05-29-2018, 08:32 PM)Admiral Wrote: Tom:  the more work you put into them, the more they are worth.  If you remove the handles, clean and polish the plate, clean up and wax the handles, theyk are worth more.  Even more so when properly sharpened, but I don't know if you have developed that skill.  There is a considerable amount of work to be done to a saw to put it back into shape for work.  That's why you can pay from $80 to $120, or more, for ready to go saws.

Nailed it.
Tom, your lament on another post prompted me to return here. Now you get to see this one for a while longer. But this is not why I post.

I would like to buy the D8. I don't see rip saws and keep looking. Sell it as you feel appropriate, and to your effort and expense. I guess I don't have the magic to use the 'Private Messages" service so, my email: hbmcc60@gmail.com 

Thanks, Bruce.
(06-19-2018, 01:12 PM)hbmcc Wrote:  I don't see rip saws and keep looking. 

For every dozen saws filed cc that I will buy in the wild, maybe, just maybe I'll find one rip worth buying.  But I must say that I am very picky about what saws I do buy, as I will look at a dozen or more before I find any saw worth buying.

For rips, its getting to the point where one might consider going to Dominic at TGIAG http://www.tgiag.com/sawplate.html and order a full size rip plate, punched to your choice of tooth count, for $50 and either reuse a handle or make your own.  Reusing a good handle has its advantages, you can transfer the holes to the new plate much easier, but get a carbide drill bit as the plate is very tough on twist bits.  While the plates are not taper ground, IMO that's less of an issue with rip saws, if its an issue at all.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thanks for the reminder, Admiral. I forget new, and Dominic's site. I got a couple backsaw plates from him before. I respect Tom's wishes and since I haven't seen these saws on S&S, I assume he procrastinates as well as me. I will wait a smidgen and then contact Dom.