Hand saws
(06-19-2018, 03:32 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Thanks for the reminder, Admiral. I forget new, and Dominic's site. I got a couple backsaw plates from him before. I respect Tom's wishes and since I haven't seen these saws on S&S, I assume he procrastinates as well as me. I will wait a smidgen and then contact Dom.

Actually, if you are looking for a new panel-size rip, or up to 28", well "The Best Things" sells the same Pax saws that LV does, 'cept they have walnut handles that look much better.  That's the best value out there right now for a new western saw ready to go, and they are taper ground to boot.

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/flinn.htm

[Image: pax_rip_saw_26.jpg]
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(06-19-2018, 03:38 PM)Admiral Wrote: Actually, if you are looking for a new panel-size rip, or up to 28", well "The Best Things" sells the same Pax saws that LV does, 'cept they have walnut handles that look much better.  That's the best value out there right now for a new western saw ready to go, and they are taper ground to boot.

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/flinn.htm

[Image: pax_rip_saw_26.jpg]

One thing about the Pax (I have a sash saw, also from the Best Things), with walnut handles, they appear to have been finished with BLO. I reshaped my handle a bit and the finish blended in perfectly. The Pax saws are bargains.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
So was this.....
Rolleyes

When I asked the price..they said it was a Freebie 

Disston D-23

Then picked up a second D-23..had to pay a little bit, for it
Rolleyes  

Freebie was a 10ppi, BTW
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I just found my third D-8 rip saw yesterday,and am the proud owner of a 4,5 1/2, and 6 tooth rips. The 4 tooth has the thumb hole, which has been used two handed. That's a workout. The one from yesterday is in really good shape, as it is pre 1928 with the 8 in the D. I like the D-23's as well, real work horses. My wife ask me why I needed the 56th saw. Oh well !!!!!!.
Rolleyes
(06-25-2018, 10:48 AM)Joe Tilson Wrote: I just found my third D-8 rip saw yesterday,and am the proud owner of a 4,5 1/2, and 6 tooth rips. The 4 tooth has the thumb hole, which has been used two handed. That's a workout. The one from yesterday is in really good shape, as it is pre 1928 with the 8 in the D. I like the D-23's as well, real work horses. My wife ask me why I needed the 56th saw. Oh well !!!!!!.
Rolleyes

Nice.

On a whim, this past Saturday I stopped at what looked to be a "kid's stuff" garage sale, there was a light rain so they moved it into the garage; and low and behold a half dozen saws hung from a few nails; all were quite worn down, except one.  I asked if any of the saws were for sale, and hearing a yes, grabbed from the nail a rusty Disston, the apple handle was a bit bleached but it had some really nice carving and I surmised it was a No. 12 but could not be sure.  8Pt, crosscut, no teeth missing, straight and still with the nib.  A good deal of surface rust so I could not see the etch.  Back in the shop, a few passes with a single edge razor blade and the etch shows up, yup, a 12, still sings too.  One of the best saws Disston ever made.  It will go in the line for rehab and sharpening.

Moral of the story:  take some time and digest the "Disstonian Institute" site and be able to recognize handle designs..... it pays off from time to time.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Tom, your time and the buyers need determine the price.  I have a D-23 that was my first (restored in my shop & sharpened) and it is my 'go to' handsaw now for better than fifteen years. I have, too, the Thumb Hole D-8 that I restored & sharpened.  I do still use my table saw for ripping when I have a lot to do but for a single board or 2 the D-8 is a joy to use!.  I gave $5 for the D-23 at a garage sale....I would not take $200 for it now.  The D-8, I paid $7 for at a swap meet, is better now than when it was new. Badaxe advertises D-8 Thumbhole replicas for SeVeraL hundred dollars.  I'm sure that Mark's D-8 is superior to the original D-8 but mine will provide just as much joy to me as his new one would.  
I only hope you use them before you get rid of them.  I love mine!

Don
I just wondered what they were worth. I don't want to spend a lot of time restoring, I did that with hand planes and now nothing is moving. Just to get them sharpened it is a 25 mile trip, I live 17 miles from the nearest stoplight. I would rather spend my time woodworking. I don't heat my shop so I am down for 4-5 months. I am not going to spend a lot of time to make a couple of bucks .

My grandfather was a carpenter who apprentices in the later 1800s. Anyway he would come back from California ever summer and my mother would have a project for him.  My dad had a rip saw and I used to build stuff with it. I use the cement step and my knee for a clamp and some times I hit the stoop with the saw. Anyway the first thing he did was sharpen the saw so I got a sharp saw once a year. I still have that saw 60 years latter ( and it is sharp). And I have my grandfather's saws that he used when he worked at his trade. They hang on my living room wall and they are sharp. A couple are sharpened like sharks teeth and cut on both the push and pull stroke.

So if someone was interested I would sell the saws pictured but packaging for shipping takes time and  I am not going to spend 2 hours getting them ready for shipping  and make $5. That is why you haven't seen them in the swop and sell. 

Tom